Sep 18, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
You just knew this was coming.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, “a person close to” Joe Torre says the Mets might be the “only team” that could lure the 70-year-old away from retirement.
Mets are certainly an inviting situation because they have a lot better
personnel than their record shows,” the person close to Torre said.
“The injuries have hurt them.”
shouldn’t be a factor for the Mets if they really want [Torre],” the
person close to Torre said. “You look at what their attendance figures
are, and I’m sure Joe would build some excitement among the fans, which
is definitely needed there.”
Just the other day, Jon Heyman of SI.com told us that the Mets see ticket sales as a key issue,
so the possibility shouldn’t be discounted entirely. According to Puma,
Wally Backman remains the favorite to be the Mets’ next manager, but
some question whether he is ready to lead a major league team. One
scenario, Puma reports, is that Backman would be groomed for the job as a
bench coach to Torre, similar to Don Mattingly in Los Angeles.
Torre would certainly create some temporary buzz in New York, but he
wouldn’t re-invigorate the fanbase like Bobby Valentine would, nor does
he have any of that fiery, impassioned spiritedness that many columnists
claim the Mets so desperately need. Besides, the Mets aren’t likely to be a contender next season and they will probably balk at his asking price.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 27
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)