Sep 18, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
You just knew this was coming.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, “a person close to” Joe Torre says the Mets might be the “only team” that could lure the 70-year-old away from retirement.
Mets are certainly an inviting situation because they have a lot better
personnel than their record shows,” the person close to Torre said.
“The injuries have hurt them.”
shouldn’t be a factor for the Mets if they really want [Torre],” the
person close to Torre said. “You look at what their attendance figures
are, and I’m sure Joe would build some excitement among the fans, which
is definitely needed there.”
Just the other day, Jon Heyman of SI.com told us that the Mets see ticket sales as a key issue,
so the possibility shouldn’t be discounted entirely. According to Puma,
Wally Backman remains the favorite to be the Mets’ next manager, but
some question whether he is ready to lead a major league team. One
scenario, Puma reports, is that Backman would be groomed for the job as a
bench coach to Torre, similar to Don Mattingly in Los Angeles.
Torre would certainly create some temporary buzz in New York, but he
wouldn’t re-invigorate the fanbase like Bobby Valentine would, nor does
he have any of that fiery, impassioned spiritedness that many columnists
claim the Mets so desperately need. Besides, the Mets aren’t likely to be a contender next season and they will probably balk at his asking price.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)