Sep 18, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, the teams will split the difference on Dotel’s remaining salary and the buyout of his option for next season, so the Rockies will responsible for approximately $250,000.
3:33 PM: Here’s an odd one.
According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, the Rockies have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Dodgers in exchange for a player to be named later.
Dotel posted a 3.38 ERA in 19 appearances with the Dodgers after coming over from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and Andrew Lambo on July 31. The 36-year-old right-hander has a 3.99 ERA and 69/28 K/BB ratio in 60 relief appearances overall this season.
The Dodgers probably won’t get anyone as promising as McDonald or Lambo in return, but it’s better than nothing, I suppose. The fact that the Rockies will pay the remaining part of his salary probably doesn’t hurt, either. As for Dotel, because he was acquired after August 31, he would not be eligible to play for the Rockies if they reach the postseason. He’s just an extra arm for the stretch run.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)