Rockies acquire Octavio Dotel from the Dodgers

Sep 18, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT

UPDATE: According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, the teams will split the difference on Dotel’s remaining salary and the buyout of his option for next season, so the Rockies will responsible for approximately $250,000.

3:33 PM: Here’s an odd one.

According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, the Rockies have acquired Octavio Dotel from the Dodgers in exchange for a player to be named later.

Dotel posted a 3.38 ERA in 19 appearances with the Dodgers after coming over from the Pirates in exchange for James McDonald and Andrew Lambo on July 31. The 36-year-old right-hander has a 3.99 ERA and 69/28 K/BB ratio in 60 relief appearances overall this season.

The Dodgers probably won’t get anyone as promising as McDonald or Lambo in return, but it’s better than nothing, I suppose. The fact that the Rockies will pay the remaining part of his salary probably doesn’t hurt, either. As for Dotel, because he was acquired after August 31, he would not be eligible to play for the Rockies if they reach the postseason. He’s just an extra arm for the stretch run.

1. Proudly Canadian - Sep 18, 2010 at 4:28 PM

If the Dodgers make the playoffs, they can now substitute someone else for Dotel on their playoff roster. Perhaps they wanted the roster flexibility for the playoffs.

2. Proudly Canadian - Sep 18, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Of course I am being facetious. The Dodgers will not make the playoffs; however, the strategy of trading someone if you wanted roster flexibility in the playoffs intrigues me. I do remember a time in the distant past when the Angels were able to twist the rules in order to make K-Rod eligible even though he was a September call up.

3. Proudly Canadian - Sep 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I am surprised that my second comment indicating that the initial comment was a joke still hasn’t shown up.

4. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I see your second comment. But then, I also see dead people. Maybe you do, too – which is why you also saw Dodgers in the playoffs?

5. Proudly Canadian - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM

In addition to dead people, I also see the Cubs winning the World Series sometime this century. The Red Sox have had their World Series for the Century.

6. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM

In fact, the Red Sox have had their World Series for the Kali Yuga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga) and, as you can see, the Cubs are rapidly running out of time. I think what you’re actually having is a vision of the universe in reverse time scan as clearly and simply explained by Karellen in Childhood’s End (http://www.amazon.com/Childhoods-End-Del-Rey-Impact/dp/0345444051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284848718&sr=8-1). We also have these visions in Macondo, but less frequently, because the ambient temperature has to drop below 70 degrees centigrade first.

7. Proudly Canadian - Sep 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Other than Canadian beer, I have never used mind altering substances, so I can’t rightfully verify your observations.

8. Glenn - Sep 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

What a threesome – Octavio, Old Gator, and the Proud Canadian.

9. Old Gator - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I’ve never been trapped inside by beaver lodge for months on end by twenty foot snowdrifts, so I can’t ascribe my own mind-altering experiences to cabin fever. I guess we’re even.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate