What was up with A.J. Burnett's eye last night?

Sep 18, 2010, 12:15 PM EST

First, the important stuff. The Yankees climbed back into first place in the American League East with a 4-3 win over the Orioles last night.
Alex Rodriguez played the hero, slamming two home runs, including a
go-ahead three-run shot off O’s closer Koji Uehara with two outs in the top of the
ninth inning.

Last night’s starter A.J. Burnett gave up three
runs — including a pair of solo homers — over seven innings as part of
a no-decision. It was one of his better starts in a while, but all
everybody could talk about after the game was the noticeable shiner he
was sporting. All he would say about it, according to Peter Botte of the
New York Daily News, is that it was not baseball-related.

“I’m
not going to comment on it, but I understand you guys have to ask. There are more
important things going on right now with this team than my eye. It was a
huge win for us.

“Let’s talk about baseball. I understand you have to ask, but I’m not going to comment on it.”

Just in case the image to the right doesn’t suffice, check out this screenshot,
courtesy of Mike Axisa of the excellent River Ave. Blues. How’d it
happen? Well, my guess is that he tripped over his tremendous piles of money.
Dude’s a klutz. A rich klutz, though.

1. jwentworth - Sep 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Did he get attacked by some stairs again?

2. Ditto65 - Sep 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I don’t know, but I am sure it is A-Rod’s fault.

3. Buccofan - Sep 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

He’s taking acting lessons from Cheater Jeter and wants people to think he got a shiner in a fight.

4. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM

There. That will teach the son of a bitch never to sneak up behind me and pop a paper bag again.

5. Pisano - Sep 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

It probably came from someone in the Yankee brass for pitching like crap , and screwing them on that big contract . If that’s not the case , it should be .

6. Kevin S. - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Yanks have no one to blame but themselves for that contract – AJ Burnett is exactly what we thought he was.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5409)