Sep 20, 2010, 9:39 AM EDT
Braves-Phillies preview at MLB.com (paraphrased): Jair Jurrjens looks to set the tone by taking the start tonight in Philly!
Braves minor league starter Brandon Beachy to his hometown paper, the Kokomo Tribune (paraphrased): I’m with the Braves in Philadelphia, Jair Jurrjens knee is injured, and if he can’t go, I’m going to get the start!
Braves GM Frank Wren to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution this morning (paraphrased): Jurrjens is fine. Beachy will not pitch.
If I wanted to paraphrase Wren a bit more liberally, I could have gone with “Thanks to him flapping his gums to the Hooterville Chronicle and (a) letting everyone know that our starter is gimpy; and (b) giving the Phillies 12 hours to dig up scouting reports on the emergency starter whom, really, only had the element of surprise in his favor, Brandon Beachy will never pitch for the Atlanta Braves as long as I’m alive.”
But maybe I’m just reading too much into it.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)