Sep 20, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
Braves-Phillies preview at MLB.com (paraphrased): Jair Jurrjens looks to set the tone by taking the start tonight in Philly!
Braves minor league starter Brandon Beachy to his hometown paper, the Kokomo Tribune (paraphrased): I’m with the Braves in Philadelphia, Jair Jurrjens knee is injured, and if he can’t go, I’m going to get the start!
Braves GM Frank Wren to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution this morning (paraphrased): Jurrjens is fine. Beachy will not pitch.
If I wanted to paraphrase Wren a bit more liberally, I could have gone with “Thanks to him flapping his gums to the Hooterville Chronicle and (a) letting everyone know that our starter is gimpy; and (b) giving the Phillies 12 hours to dig up scouting reports on the emergency starter whom, really, only had the element of surprise in his favor, Brandon Beachy will never pitch for the Atlanta Braves as long as I’m alive.”
But maybe I’m just reading too much into it.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)