And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

Sep 20, 2010, 5:34 AM EDT

The Phillies and Braves enter their big series on a roll, the Yankees and Rays -- not so much.

Phillies 7, Nationals 6: The Phillies are white hot and may very well be the best team in baseball at the moment. They were down 6-3 in the ninth but, hey, no problem: They got a two-run single by Ryan Howard and a two-run homer by Jayson Werth and with that they won their seventh in a row. Philly has only dropped three games in September, and now they have their number one, number one-A and number one-B starters going against the Braves at home this week.

Giants 9, Brewers 2: The NL West has been tighter than a duck’s butt lately (note: I think Dan Rather said that one once about an election. I’m not
really sure), but the Giants take over the top spot. Jose Guillen hit a grand slam in the first and the
Giants never looked back. Thanks to the run support — which he has not
had a hell of a lot of recently — Barry Zito got his first win since
July 16th.

Cardinals 4, Padres 1: Adam Wainwright shut the Padres down to win his
19th. San Diego falls into second place, a half game behind San Francisco and 2.5 back of the
Braves in the wild card.

Dodgers 7, Rockies 6: The Rockies jumped all over Clayton Kershaw,
grabbing a 6-1 lead after two innings. That’s all they’d get, though, as
L.A. chipped away at the lead, tying it on a Matt Kemp double in the
ninth and winning it on an A.J. Ellis — A.J. Ellis? — yes, A.J. Ellis
RBI single in the 11th. This one ended in a brisk four hours and
twenty-one minutes.

Angels 6, Rays 3: A couple of homers from Bobby Abreu and a win for Scott Kazmir give the Angels a series win. Not exactly the way Tampa Bay wanted to enter the Yankees series.

Orioles 4, Yankees 3: Luke Scott hits the tying homer off Mariano Rivera in the ninth and comes around to score the winning run on an RBI single in the 11th. Not exactly the way New York wanted to enter the Rays series.

Braves 6, Mets 3: The Mets took a 2-0 lead in the first inning and then decided to go to sleep or watch football games on their iPhones or something. Derrek Lee smacked a grand slam off double-agent Manny Acosta to help the Braves complete the sweep.

Astros 4, Reds 3: Who ever would have guessed that Brett Myers would be having the season he’s having? Another sharp outing: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER. He lowered his ERA to 2.76 on the season. He’s 8-0 with a 2.01 ERA at home.

Pirates 4, Diamondbacks 3: I don’t know that Kirk Gibson is managing for the permanent gig right now or if the front office has already made up its mind on the matter. But to the extent his destiny is in his own hands, getting swept by the Pirates ain’t gonna help him.

Mariners 2, Rangers 1: The Mariners have lost a ton of games this year due to their failure to score runs. This past weekend they won two of three despite only scoring five times.

Athletics 6, Twins 2: Losing the game sucks, but losing Joe Mauer to “a jammed knee,” whatever the hell that is, sucks worse. Ron Gardenhire was ejected in the fourth after Jim Thome flew out to center and Delmon Young was called out at second for failing to tag up at first. Gardenhire’s argument was that the centerfielder dropped the ball — which he did — but the ump said it was after the catch and on the transfer, not a drop of the fly itself. Which seems right based on the replay. Just the latest bit of evidence for the need for an outfield fly rule.

Royals 6, Indians 4: This one was alright — Yuniesky Betancourt stole home on a double steal — but Saturday night’s game was the real gem: Time of game: 2:57. Time of rain delays: 3:40.

Cubs 13, Marlins 3: Tyler Colvin’s injury is nothing short of horrific — the bat shard punctured his chest wall and required a chest tube to keep his lung from collapsing.  It was also nothing short of avoidable. Ban maple bats now.

Red Sox 6, Blues Jays 0: Jon Lester won his fifth straight and upped his win total to 18 on the year. Jose Bautista homered on Friday and Saturday — he’s at 49 on the season now — but he grounded out with the sacks jacked twice in this one. The loss officially eliminated the Jays from playoff contention.

Tigers 9, White Sox 7: The Tigers had a 7-3 lead as late as the seventh but blew it, only to win it in extras. Brandon Inge scored the winning run, but he probably shouldn’t have been in a position to do so: he ran to first on a wild pitch on strike three, A.J. Pierzynski threw down to try and nail him and actually did — on the foot — and the ball went flying, sending Inge to third. Oh, and Manny struck out with the bases loaded to end the game. I have this feeling some Chicago writers (and maybe some Boston and L.A. writers) will consider that symbolic of something.

1. Kiwicricket - Sep 20, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Simple answer would be to equip all base-runners, fielders and fans with masks and chest protection similar to which the ump and catchers wear. Ooorrrrrr….a $3 plastic sheet which covers the bat. I use similar stuff on my cricket bat and it prolongs the life of the willow, and prevents cracking on the face of the bat. Oh, and if it helps to stop people becoming impaled, that’s another positive I guess.

2. Jonny5 - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:45 AM

And I think the proper term is ” Water tight as a ducks butt” ? Also could be applied ” Is a bull frog’s ass water tight?” if you want to change it up some and pose your answer as a question. I know. It’s kinda PG-13 and all, but that’s more popular than the whole duck thing. And I hope Dan Rather never speaks of the tightness factor of a duck’s butt again. The whole Jerry Pennicoli thing has really tarnished news anchors good names when it comes to small animals and all. bleh!
    GO PHILLS! Woot woot!

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Alot of storylines the last 12-13 games of the season.
    First, in the NL…can the Phillies put the Braves away the next 3 nights? Winning 2 of 3 would probably do that. Second, do the Braves, if they can’t beat the Phillies big three the next three nights, take care of business and win 5 of 6 from the Nats and Marlins, before hosting the Phillies the final weekend of the season? Third, if the Phillies take 2 of 3 from the Braves, do they take care of business and win 5 of 6 from the Nats and Mutts the next 6 before the series in Atlanta? Are they 4 up going into that last series, making it meaningless to them, thus allowing them to rest the big three for the first round of the playoffs?
    In the AL, it is much simpler…a Rays/Yankers split will likely spell the end to the Red Sox valiant efforts to get into the Wild Card, unless they go ape-shit and win the last 13 games. If that happens, they beat out the Yankers. If the Rays can take 3 of 4, or even sweep in NY, and the Red Sox can do what they are supposed to do, which is win 6 of 7 against the Orioles and White Sox(who have pretty much quit), then all(all???) they would need to to is take 5 of 6 from the Yankers to force a tie for the wild card. In other words, as I have been saying the last 2 months, the playoff teams in the AL are set. The ALCS will be Yankers/Rays…the question is whether game 7 is in Tampa or New York. Minnesota is amazing, but they won’t be able to win a short series against either the Yankers or Rays.
    Predictions with 2 weeks left…
    Phillies, Reds, Rockies, Braves in NL
    Yankers, Twins, Rangers, Rays in AL
    Phillies/Braves in NLCS
    Yankers/Rays in ALCS
    Phillies/Yankers in WS
    Phillies Champs in 6 back in Philly.

4. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 10:27 AM

That’s a bat? And I thought you were just into bass fishing….
    Only kidding. My wife and I had our wedding reception in the banquet room at Lord’s. Really. My late father in law was a trustee, so I got an eye and earful of it. Also have a musician friend in London who is another hardcore fan and I got excellent running live narratives of a couple of test matches in his company. And there might be one or two other sports books ever written in the same class as Beyond a Boundary, but I ain’t heard of more than that. For all the horseshit about how many athletes are right wing knuckledraggers and TPN watchers in their spare time, only a Marxist could have written it with so much soul.

5. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM

The only thing about the Cubs-Feesh series that was as awful as the Tyler Colvin injury was the pitching, hitting, fielding and baserunning of the Feesh themselves. They did everything so badly, so lethargically, that they seemed not merely to have poopy in their pants but to have mixed their Gatorade powder with Mexican pond water. A six game skid to follow their three game triumph over the…Gnats? The strange attractor is fading in the distance, beckoning like the wet Ahab.
    As far as the Colvin incident, I raise my voice in a passionate plea to Bud Light to form a committee immediately, or at least before the next major glaciation, to study the remote possibility of issuing a vaguely worded statement about maybe looking more closely at whether or not bats really do shatter! And I want to make it clear that I will settle for nothing less!
    Okay, Igor is moving away and the sea is calming down again. What’d I do with my fishing rod?

6. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Duck is pretty greasy itself, and I could understand how someone reared on horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches would see duck as a limited alternative. I would explain to you about how to remove some of the grease – sticking the duck all over with a corn holder held approximately parallel to the skin, then plunging the duck for about five minutes into boiling water (till the goosebumps show up) to loosen up the subcutaneous fat, which then leaches out during the cooking process.
    But you’re a Feelies fan and I fear you wouldn’t kill it first.

7. Lukehart80 - Sep 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM

random trivia: the cubs’ starting 9 yesterday entered the game with combined totals of 517 career hits and 67 career home runs. i have no idea if either of those is any sort of record, but damn!

8. APBA Guy - Sep 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM

The A’s took 2 of 3 from the Twins to renew optimism for 2011 amidst a sea of televised “Get yer red-hot season ticket packages NOW!”. The lineup the A’s ran out yesterday was half-River Cats, half big leaguers, and their play was identical, except for Chris “The Future” Carter, now 0-34 in his big league debut. Bill Beane will be publishing a book soon called “No Moneyball” in which he advocates for an 80 man roster composed entirely of non-arb players making MLB minimum, and using the 2010 A’s as the test case for “making it work”.

9. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM

The Phightins do more before one out in the ninth than most people do all day.

I loves me a walkoff dinger to head into the most important series of the season. (JDub, get Gore-us to give Rube a call RIGHT NOW to get your $35 bazillion/year contract done before you see the butterflies at second base again.)

10. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Dan Rather’s on HDNET now–he calls it a duck’s ass, what with the lack of censors that Cuban has lying around. And since when was Jerry Penacoli’s name ever considered to be good in the news? Maybe in the classifieds, but the news?

Mmmm…roast duck…D’OH!!

11. Jonny5 - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I have had duck before, it was quite good. I believe it was dry rubbed with seasoning and cooked over wood. Oh, and was dead. The smoking over a fire thing kinda knocks the grease down too and crisps the skin nicely. The only thing Philly fans eat raw is feesh I think ole Gator… ;>P You can roll it up with rice and kelp, dip in in some Wooo saab eeee. mmm. No really I’ve eaten mostly everything at least once, my list for foods i won’t eat is very short. Lamb, Veal, Organ meats. simple. I have even helped to whip up some very good Snapper soup before, I had the fun task of getting the turtle ready for the pot. Yeah, there are still “country boys” in Jersey.

12. Jonny5 - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

“And since when was Jerry Penacoli’s name ever considered to be good in the news?”
    Never good. I was saying that now news anchors can’t talk about small animals without raising suspicion because of him. My gerbil hides when I say his name. I do it just for fun. “Jerry P—” and he’s gone!!!

13. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I was about to say that you need to prove how Penacoli, and not Nancy Glass, carried Evening Magazine. ‘Cause dems fightin’ words, man, and after his good deed over the weekend, Nyjer’s itchin’ for a fight!!! (Especially after his replacement made that phenomenal catch yesterday.)

14. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Then you must read “The Man who Shot Snapping Turtles” by Edmund Wilson. It’s in his collection of short stories, Memoirs of Hecate County. People speak the King’s English there so it may not be recognizable as New Jersey, but if you love snapping turtles like I do (their attitude, I mean), you ought to read this story.

15. Jonny5 - Sep 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Dude! I forgot that show existed! Wow. That was like way back. Like way back when Jonny5 was a real movie star.

16. Kelly - Sep 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I was at yesterday’s Twins game and they were trotting out the third string lineup plus Mauer. I assumed that Mauer just needed the rest of the day off and that this “jammed knee” is Gardy’s way of psyching out the AL East foes into thinking the Twins can’t beat them in a five game series…which they most certainly can win if three of those five is at Target Field. If Thome were to keep up his tear and he gets to play with the right field bunt porch at Yankee Stadium, he may hit 9 home runs in the Division Series. :-)

17. Jonny5 - Sep 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I’ll have to look it up and read it. I usually don’t read it unless it’s so far from reality a 3 year old wouldn’t believe it. You know the type. I’m one of those Dark tower series kinda readers. Although with my flavor for old things, I have recently acquired a copy of Ivanhoe that dates back to the mid 1800’s. And speaking of the “kings english” wow! Let’s just say re-reading parts is going to common for me with this one. If i don’t get incredibly bored that is. And BTW Gator,If you had a taste of the soup I did, you’d love those snappers in more ways than one. Just like Chicken noodle…

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3452)