Sep 20, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Jon Heyman has a lot of managerial speculation in his latest column. One of the fun ones: while it’s highly unlikely Joe Girardi won’t be back in New York, if he does bolt, “Bobby Valentine likely would be one candidate to replace him in the Bronx.”
I just love this because it proves that we cannot go a single week without hearing some Bobby Valentine speculation. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if his name came up for vacancies with the Seattle Pilots, the Baltimore Terrapins and the Cleveland Spiders.
In other news, Heyman says that while Ken Macha is likely out as Brewers’ manager, Willie Randolph is not a candidate to replace him.
None of us can know what happens on the inside of a major league clubhouse, but I’d be curious to hear the reason why he’s not considered a candidate. While he left the Mets under a cloud, history, I think, has shown that the people who ousted him — Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel, who reportedly snitched about Randolph’s alleged shortcomings to management — were perhaps a bigger problem.
Personally, I thought Randolph was a decent manager in a bad situation. While he probably did need to go because of all the craziness that was surrounding the Mets at the time, I also think he deserves another chance to manage someplace.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)