Bobby Valentine and the Yankees? Sure, why not?

Sep 20, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

Jon Heyman has a lot of managerial speculation in his latest column. One of the fun ones: while it’s highly unlikely Joe Girardi won’t be back in New York, if he does bolt, “Bobby Valentine likely would be one candidate to replace him in the Bronx.”

I just love this because it proves that we cannot go a single week without hearing some Bobby Valentine speculation. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if his name came up for vacancies with the Seattle Pilots, the Baltimore Terrapins and the Cleveland Spiders.

In other news, Heyman says that while Ken Macha is likely out as Brewers’ manager, Willie Randolph is not a candidate to replace him.

None of us can know what happens on the inside of a major league clubhouse, but I’d be curious to hear the reason why he’s not considered a candidate. While he left the Mets under a cloud, history, I think, has shown that the people who ousted him — Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel, who reportedly snitched about Randolph’s alleged shortcomings to management — were perhaps a bigger problem.

Personally, I thought Randolph was a decent manager in a bad situation. While he probably did need to go because of all the craziness that was surrounding the Mets at the time, I also think he deserves another chance to manage someplace.

1. BC - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Yet another missed opportunity to use the classic photo:

2. Johnnyb10 - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I think the Pilots would be a good fit for Bobby V. Is Jim Bouton still pitching for them?

3. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM

He looks like Jack’s Joker in a high school yearbook photo up there.

4. John_Michael - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Who is that? I can’t tell who it is.

5. Buccofan - Sep 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM

You forgot the opening with the St. Louis Browns.

6. Simon DelMonte - Sep 20, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I think Bobby V is in line to be the interim coach at Michigan State. And has also been suggested as the manager for the futuristic baseball team that Leela played on on Futurama.
    I agree about Randolph. I just had a wacky idea that if the Mets hire Torre and Girardi really does go to CubsLand, that the Yankees could hire Randolph. The tabloids would go nuts for a month. But I think his next job should be someplace saner. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be Milwaukee.

7. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM

MLB Network just had something about Bobby V’s travails in dugout disguise last night (this morning?).

8. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Any truth to Jerrah Jones looking into replacing Bum Phillips with Bobby V? If not, I think there’s a Little League team in my area looking for a coach…

9. The Common Man - Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Willie Randolph may not be a candidate in Milwaukee, but one man is. And that man is, you guessed it, Bobby Valentine.

10. Ditto65 - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Bobby V is in line to clean my gutters.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS