Sep 20, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
Two months ago Brian Anderson made the transition from outfielder to pitcher after the 28-year-old former first-round pick hit just .227 in 355 career games. He first headed down to rookie-ball, quickly moved up to Single-A, and then finished the year with a stint at Triple-A, combining to throw 17.1 innings with a 2.08 ERA and 17/5 K/BB ratio while allowing just 10 hits and zero homers.
Anderson probably would have spent at least part of the second half in the majors had he remained an outfielder, but explained to Daniel Paulling of the Kansas City Star that he simply not longer enjoyed being a position player:
I grew up as a pitcher. I was always a pitcher. Hitting was always secondary to me. I went to [college] more as a pitcher. I was given an opportunity to play center, and I went eight for my first 10 and never looked back. It’s not about being in the big leagues. I should never dread going to the baseball field, and I kind of was just not excited as I should be. At some point, you have to say screw it and do what makes you happy.
Anderson is on the 40-man roster and making $700,000 this season, but it’ll be interesting to see if the Royals continue to protect him this offseason. The early results are certainly encouraging and it sounds like he has legitimate raw stuff, including a fastball that can reach the mid-90s.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)