Sep 20, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Stuff you missed over the weekend while you wished the weather would make up its damn mind already between summer and fall:
- Tyler Colvin was impaled by a bat shard. We’ll obviously have more about this and maple bats and all of that kind of thing over the next few days.
- Whenever you have the chance to lock up a guy with no managerial experience and no real prospects for a top post elsewhere six months in advance, you can’t pass up that opportunity.
- Felix Hernandez hadn’t seemed to be getting a lot of love from the Cy Young voters by pitching great but not winning, but I bet he changed a few minds on Friday. Some by pitching a near-no-hitter, some by espousing some wrongheaded unwritten rules conventional wisdom baloney about it after the game.
- And the Mets’ nightmare season continues: Joe Torre would listen if the Wilpons called him.
- A.J. Burnett has a mysterious black eye. I keep going back and forth between it being the result of some ugly incident like a bar fight and some embarrassing incident like he was trying to open a wine bottle during a quiet evening at home, but the cork was stubborn so he but the bottle between his knees and pulled on it with both hands, only to have one fly off and hit himself. In the head, actually, during which he dropped and broke the bottle and got wine all over the carpet so his girlfriend punched him in the eye.
- Drew Storen is going to return to Stanford to complete is degree this offseason. After his performance against the Phillies yesterday it’s nice to see him finish something.
- The Dodgers traded Octavio Dotel to the Rockies. So the Dodgers traded James McDonald and Andrew Lambo for a month and a half’s worth of Dotel. Smooth move.
- Yeah, I suppose Troy Tulowitzki has been pretty awesome lately, but he didn’t hit a home run yesterday, did he? No? Pfft. Slacker.
- Jason LaRue’s career says his career is over following his Johnny Cueto-inflicted concussion. I predict Cueto’s starts against St. Louis get bumped for the next decade or so.
- J.D. Drew is going to retire after next season. To hear the Boston writers tell it he’s been sitting in a rocking chair for several years now, so I’m sure they won’t have any fun with this news at all.
- Japanese ace Yu Darvish is likely going to come to the United States this winter. Seriously: after the frustration Boston has had with Dice-K and after the multiple Japanese busts the Yankees have experienced, I question how high the posting fee goes for this guy.
- La Russa hasn’t decided if he’s coming back next year or not. Someone get Jack Clark’s comments on this. Not that they’d be germane, but I just can’t wait to hear him open his mouth again.
- Nyjer Morgan gave that fan at whom he threw the ball in Philly free tickets behind the Nats dugout for a game this past weekend, plus a pregame field pass. I’m a bit sad that the fan apparently survived the game without being attacked by a folding chair or one of Morgan’s valet/managers, meaning that he’s really not owning this heel-turn.
- Dusty Baker is still mulling over the contract offer from the Reds. Now that the Dodgers job has been filled, I’m not sure what he’s waiting for.
And on with the week we go.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)