Sep 20, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
Many of you just witnessed the unveiling of the George Steinbrenner monument in Monument Park. I promise I will get to that in a little bit, but we would be remiss to ignore some of the events that preceded the ceremony. Namely, that Joe Torre and Don Mattingly were in attendance and took part in a pre-game press conference.
Among other items of note, the 70-year-old Torre confirmed to Ian O’Connor of ESPNNewYork.com that he would listen if the Mets called him about their managerial job. We hinted at that one over the weekend.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman showed up at the completion of the press conference and instead of causing a ruckus, he embraced his former manager in a sign of friendship. The pair hadn’t spoken since the controversy surrounding the release of Torre’s book, “The Yankee Years.”
“We talked about a lot of different things and you have to turn the page,” Cashman said.
On a night in memoriam of George, everything suddenly becomes water under the bridge.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)