Sep 20, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
Many of you just witnessed the unveiling of the George Steinbrenner monument in Monument Park. I promise I will get to that in a little bit, but we would be remiss to ignore some of the events that preceded the ceremony. Namely, that Joe Torre and Don Mattingly were in attendance and took part in a pre-game press conference.
Among other items of note, the 70-year-old Torre confirmed to Ian O’Connor of ESPNNewYork.com that he would listen if the Mets called him about their managerial job. We hinted at that one over the weekend.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman showed up at the completion of the press conference and instead of causing a ruckus, he embraced his former manager in a sign of friendship. The pair hadn’t spoken since the controversy surrounding the release of Torre’s book, “The Yankee Years.”
“We talked about a lot of different things and you have to turn the page,” Cashman said.
On a night in memoriam of George, everything suddenly becomes water under the bridge.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)