Joe Torre and Brian Cashman make amends

Sep 20, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT

Many of you just witnessed the unveiling of the George Steinbrenner monument in Monument Park. I promise I will get to that in a little bit, but we would be remiss to ignore some of the events that preceded the ceremony. Namely, that Joe Torre and Don Mattingly were in attendance and took part in a pre-game press conference.

Among other items of note, the 70-year-old Torre confirmed to Ian O’Connor of ESPNNewYork.com that he would listen if the Mets called him about their managerial job. We hinted at that one over the weekend.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman showed up at the completion of the press conference and instead of causing a ruckus, he embraced his former manager in a sign of friendship. The pair hadn’t spoken since the controversy surrounding the release of Torre’s book, “The Yankee Years.”

“We talked about a lot of different things and you have to turn the page,” Cashman said.

On a night in memoriam of George, everything suddenly becomes water under the bridge.

1. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Wow…that photo is…um…wow.

2. schmedley - Sep 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Now the Yankees need to make up with Costanza. He’s still bitter that Steinbrenner traded him to Tyler Chicken.

3. JBerardi - Sep 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Bit of a Godfather II vibe, right?

4. aleskel - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:12 AM

“I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart.”

5. Utley's hair - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Okay. I see that now, too. But initially, I was wondering which one would break the eyelock and go in for the smooch.

6. Kiwicricket - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM

You’re a pervert. I also hug my male boss like that every morning. Nothing wrong there.

7. Ditto65 - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:49 AM

“I just can’t quit you!”

8. BC - Sep 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

HOLY SMOKES DOES CASHMAN NEED A HAIR WEAVE!

9. Jonny5 - Sep 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Quick!! Where’s the kiss cam operator when you need him?? Probably at some anti gay rally with the klan or something….

10. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I think I’m changing my mind about repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell.” If it look so awful at a memorial service, can it be good for combat?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3935)