Sep 20, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Last week the Cardinals announced that they were shutting down Jaime Garcia in an effort to limit the 23-year-old rookie’s workload after he threw just 38 innings last season while coming back from Tommy John surgery, but now they’re apparently rethinking those plans.
Garcia will be skipped in the rotation Thursday for the second straight time, but manager Tony La Russa told Charlie Nobles of MLB.com that “there are a couple of places next week where he could fit in” to make a start.
For his part, Garcia would welcome the chance to pitch again this season despite already logging 163.1 innings:
I’m ready to go. I threw a side [session] yesterday and felt fine. I’m just waiting to see what decision they make. I’m not going to lie to you, I was feeling a little tired. But that was just like everybody else. Nobody was feeling 100 percent like you do in spring training.
I’m not really sure what there is to gain by squeezing in another start or two from Garcia with Cool Standings pegging the Cardinals’ playoff odds at 3.1 percent, although perhaps it could help his case with Rookie of the Year voters.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)