Sep 20, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Last week the Cardinals announced that they were shutting down Jaime Garcia in an effort to limit the 23-year-old rookie’s workload after he threw just 38 innings last season while coming back from Tommy John surgery, but now they’re apparently rethinking those plans.
Garcia will be skipped in the rotation Thursday for the second straight time, but manager Tony La Russa told Charlie Nobles of MLB.com that “there are a couple of places next week where he could fit in” to make a start.
For his part, Garcia would welcome the chance to pitch again this season despite already logging 163.1 innings:
I’m ready to go. I threw a side [session] yesterday and felt fine. I’m just waiting to see what decision they make. I’m not going to lie to you, I was feeling a little tired. But that was just like everybody else. Nobody was feeling 100 percent like you do in spring training.
I’m not really sure what there is to gain by squeezing in another start or two from Garcia with Cool Standings pegging the Cardinals’ playoff odds at 3.1 percent, although perhaps it could help his case with Rookie of the Year voters.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (100)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)