Sep 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal spoke with Scott Boras about his newest client, Jayson Werth. Say, Scott, how are going to position your free agent to-be?
“He can play center field . . . He has the closing speed to play center . . . It makes your
team so different. Normally you get that production out of a corner
Forgetting, of course, that Werth is a corner outfielder. Sure, he can play center. But he has done so almost exclusively because he’s had to due to injuries to others, not because his team figured he was their centerfielder, let alone their big free-agent splash of a centerfielder. Dude has played 720 of nearly 6000 career innings there. He has never has played in center for the majority of his games in a season.
That doesn’t mean that some team won’t think about paying Werth as though he produces like he does as a centerfielder as opposed to a corner, which is where he’ll almost certainly play the majority of his games for the remainder of his career. Heck, Boras convinced the Mets that Oliver Perez was worth 3/$36M. Just don’t expect too many savvy teams to fall for it.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)