Sep 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal spoke with Scott Boras about his newest client, Jayson Werth. Say, Scott, how are going to position your free agent to-be?
“He can play center field . . . He has the closing speed to play center . . . It makes your
team so different. Normally you get that production out of a corner
Forgetting, of course, that Werth is a corner outfielder. Sure, he can play center. But he has done so almost exclusively because he’s had to due to injuries to others, not because his team figured he was their centerfielder, let alone their big free-agent splash of a centerfielder. Dude has played 720 of nearly 6000 career innings there. He has never has played in center for the majority of his games in a season.
That doesn’t mean that some team won’t think about paying Werth as though he produces like he does as a centerfielder as opposed to a corner, which is where he’ll almost certainly play the majority of his games for the remainder of his career. Heck, Boras convinced the Mets that Oliver Perez was worth 3/$36M. Just don’t expect too many savvy teams to fall for it.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)