Sep 20, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal spoke with Scott Boras about his newest client, Jayson Werth. Say, Scott, how are going to position your free agent to-be?
“He can play center field . . . He has the closing speed to play center . . . It makes your
team so different. Normally you get that production out of a corner
Forgetting, of course, that Werth is a corner outfielder. Sure, he can play center. But he has done so almost exclusively because he’s had to due to injuries to others, not because his team figured he was their centerfielder, let alone their big free-agent splash of a centerfielder. Dude has played 720 of nearly 6000 career innings there. He has never has played in center for the majority of his games in a season.
That doesn’t mean that some team won’t think about paying Werth as though he produces like he does as a centerfielder as opposed to a corner, which is where he’ll almost certainly play the majority of his games for the remainder of his career. Heck, Boras convinced the Mets that Oliver Perez was worth 3/$36M. Just don’t expect too many savvy teams to fall for it.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)