The Astros trade Round Rock for Oklahoma City

Sep 20, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT

In 2010 the Astros AAA club was located in Round Rock and the Rangers club was located in Oklahoma City.  Last week the Rangers announced they’re taking over Round Rock and, a few minutes ago, the Astros announced they’re getting Oklahoma City. They’ve basically traded.

I’ve never been to Oklahoma City, but Round Rock is reasonably close to Austin, and Austin is cool, so I would guess that the place is more desirable. As such, to even out the trade I’m guessing the Rangers had to throw in a west/south-central city to be named later.

My guess is that it will be Liberal, Kansas. Or maybe Shreveport.

1. okobojicat - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Liberal, KS is definitely not a city. Not by any idea, whatsoever. Seriously. And its not even Liberal! Rush Limbaugh would fit in so well.
    God I hate living in Kansas. Someone get me out of here!

2. Kiwicricket - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Oh Dorothy…You’ve grown up so fast. Do you still talk to ‘Tin-man’ (kettle) ‘Scare-crow’ (mop) and the neighbours Retriever…err I mean ‘Lion’ ???

3. RichardInBigD - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM

This swap makes sense on one front, and doesn’t on another. Arlington is roughly equidistant from these two cities, but Oklahoma City is probably three times as far as Round Rock from Houston. Iknow in most states, that can’t be much driving (Ohio included), but this is Texas! Where it does make sense, is that Nolan Ryan (new part owner of the Rangers, if you haven’t heard), is also part-owner of the Round Rock Express. I don’t know what the advantage is to being a partner in both the AAA affiliate and the MLB team, but I’m guessing there might be some conflict of interest rule about having ownership in two different systems. Plus, as you said, Austin is a happening town where there’s all kinds of cool stuff to do before or after the game. In OKC, there’s the Redhawks, and about 40 miles south there’s OU football. Pretty much it…

4. The Rabbit - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I feel your pain. I’m in the Ozarks Mountains in MO. Prettier landscape but definitely the same place.
    My kid lives in Oklahoma City. It will never be confused with Austin. Yi-Haw!

5. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Kiss the best donuts in the world goodbye, Astro wannabes.

6. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Well, Rabbit, you could always go to Branston for a little intellectual stimulation….

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate