Sep 20, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
That’s the only conclusion that can be drawn from Joe Sherman’s latest, in which he cast about big league front offices to get (anonymous) comment on the Mets’ COO.
The pithy summary: Wilpon is a “short-tempered, tone deaf credit seeker,” he’s an “accountability
deflector,” a “micro-manager” and a “second-guesser.” Oh, and he’s a bull-headed idiot too, if the phrases Sherman uses — he’s a “less-than-deep
thinker,” and is “bad at self-awareness” — can be reasonably parsed.
Want something with slightly better-flowing prose? Try this comment from a baseball executive “in regular contact with the Mets”:
is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize
that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire
anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone
who does not run every personnel decision through him.”
So no, Mets fans. Your fantasies about Jon Daniels or Kevin Towers coming in and fixing the Mets are just that. They’re savvy and desirable businessmen, you see and want no part of that kind of management nightmare. The only people who are going to want the Mets GM job are those people who have no better options and who will likely put up with anything Wilpon throws at them because they need the job badly.
Which is exactly how Jeff Wilpon wants it, it would seem.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)