Sep 20, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
That’s the only conclusion that can be drawn from Joe Sherman’s latest, in which he cast about big league front offices to get (anonymous) comment on the Mets’ COO.
The pithy summary: Wilpon is a “short-tempered, tone deaf credit seeker,” he’s an “accountability
deflector,” a “micro-manager” and a “second-guesser.” Oh, and he’s a bull-headed idiot too, if the phrases Sherman uses — he’s a “less-than-deep
thinker,” and is “bad at self-awareness” — can be reasonably parsed.
Want something with slightly better-flowing prose? Try this comment from a baseball executive “in regular contact with the Mets”:
is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize
that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire
anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone
who does not run every personnel decision through him.”
So no, Mets fans. Your fantasies about Jon Daniels or Kevin Towers coming in and fixing the Mets are just that. They’re savvy and desirable businessmen, you see and want no part of that kind of management nightmare. The only people who are going to want the Mets GM job are those people who have no better options and who will likely put up with anything Wilpon throws at them because they need the job badly.
Which is exactly how Jeff Wilpon wants it, it would seem.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 10
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 42
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)