Sep 20, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
That’s the only conclusion that can be drawn from Joe Sherman’s latest, in which he cast about big league front offices to get (anonymous) comment on the Mets’ COO.
The pithy summary: Wilpon is a “short-tempered, tone deaf credit seeker,” he’s an “accountability
deflector,” a “micro-manager” and a “second-guesser.” Oh, and he’s a bull-headed idiot too, if the phrases Sherman uses — he’s a “less-than-deep
thinker,” and is “bad at self-awareness” — can be reasonably parsed.
Want something with slightly better-flowing prose? Try this comment from a baseball executive “in regular contact with the Mets”:
is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize
that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire
anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone
who does not run every personnel decision through him.”
So no, Mets fans. Your fantasies about Jon Daniels or Kevin Towers coming in and fixing the Mets are just that. They’re savvy and desirable businessmen, you see and want no part of that kind of management nightmare. The only people who are going to want the Mets GM job are those people who have no better options and who will likely put up with anything Wilpon throws at them because they need the job badly.
Which is exactly how Jeff Wilpon wants it, it would seem.
- Report: Astros to acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 0
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 7
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)