There is no fixing the Mets until the team is sold

Sep 20, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT

That’s the only conclusion that can be drawn from Joe Sherman’s latest, in which he cast about big league front offices to get (anonymous) comment on the Mets’ COO.

The pithy summary: Wilpon is  a “short-tempered, tone deaf credit seeker,” he’s an “accountability
deflector,” a “micro-manager” and a “second-guesser.”  Oh, and he’s a bull-headed idiot too, if the phrases Sherman uses — he’s a “less-than-deep
thinker,” and is “bad at self-awareness” — can be reasonably parsed.

Want something with slightly better-flowing prose? Try this comment from a baseball executive “in regular contact with the Mets”:

“Jeff
is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize
that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire
anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone
who does not run every personnel decision through him.”

So no, Mets fans. Your fantasies about Jon Daniels or Kevin Towers coming in and fixing the Mets are just that. They’re savvy and desirable businessmen, you see and want no part of that kind of management nightmare. The only people who are going to want the Mets GM job are those people who have no better options and who will likely put up with anything Wilpon throws at them because they need the job badly.

Which is exactly how Jeff Wilpon wants it, it would seem.

1. BC - Sep 20, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Shoot me now, please.

2. Simon DelMonte - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Not the happiest thing I’ve read all day. And it sounds far too familiar to anyone who’s read similar statements regarding the man who runs the Knicks. There is something about a certain kind of son of privilege who is determined to prove his merit by running the family business in a way that everyone in the world but the son sees as folly.
    Sigh.
    Yankees fans, consider yourselves very lucky that: a) the Boss outgrew his own era of such behavior; and b) Hank Steinbrenner has a brother who apparently knows how to talk him into being sensible.

3. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I…I can’t. I’m sorry. I just can’t do it. I love you. You suffer like I suffer, and for similar if not categorically identical reasons. I see my existential condition in you.
    That, plus the legal ramifications are just too onerous.
    However, I did leave a bottle of sleeping pills on the kitchen table along with a bottle of vodka. After wiping my fingerprints off both of them.

4. Kiwicricket - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Regards for that comment regarding Lords and the book. I will investigate that. Very fortunate person indeed to have had a function there, mere peasants such as myself are refined to the long-room for tea and other light refreshments. Oh and cricket.
    The Grapes are looking like they will sh*t the bed this year. Much like the Mets for the foreseeable future.

5. Kiwicricket - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM

No. You play a very important role in life providing me with pics of Tom twirling bottles of booze.

6. YANKEES1996 - Sep 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I was talking to my brother this past weekend about almost this exact issue and even though he is one of the most die hard Mets fans I have ever seen he is begininng to see and understand this argument. It pains him to admit that the Wilpon family is indeed “the root of all evil”, now he is not buying the entire argument. I personally believe the reason he is not is because just the name Omar Minaya causes him to dry heave, which I completely understand. I used to enjoy sticking it to him about the Mets and their constant problems, but now I just feel sorry for him.

7. Dan in Katonah - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Knicks and Mets fan…. at least I can root for the NY Football Giants and know that their ownership is less of an impediment to success. I agree Wilpon is a problem, but less of a douche than Dolan. I think the Madoff thing made a bad problem worse, since now he is stupid and can’t afford to eat some of those mistakes.

8. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM

You don’t know C. L. R. James’ Beyond a Boundary??? Egad! Prepare yourself for the Magic Mountain of Cricket, my friend. A treat of great proportion awaits you.

9. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I hear he’s stupid and his mother dresses him funny, too.

10. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Some guy from Michigan called and said he used to be a doctor before he ran into some legal problems, but would be glad to help.

11. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Here’s an interesting quote from Sherman’s article: “The only person with a worse reputation then Jeff Wilpon in the game is [Marlins president] David Samson.”
    Nifty. You don’t usually hear the Chihuahua spoken about in superlatives.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3004)