Sep 20, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
I want to thank Cubs fans for their support all season, especially right now, and let everyone know that I’m doing OK. I also want to thank everyone who has helped take care of me here in Miami–the Cubs and Marlins training and medical staffs, the EMTs at the ballpark, and everyone here at the hospital.
You never want to have a season end early, and I’m disappointed that I’m not going to be able to make it through the finish line with the rest of my teammates. That being said, I couldn’t be more thankful for the Cubs organization, my teammates and the opportunity to play for Cubs fans my rookie season. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Colvin needed a chest tube to prevent a collapsed lung and is expected to spend several more days in the hospital, but luckily seems to have avoided a very serious injury by a matter of inches. He finishes his rookie season hitting .254/.316/.500 with 20 homers in 394 plate appearances.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 2
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 40
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)