Sep 20, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
So Tyler Colvin could have died yesterday. As Jeff Passan said: I guess someone is going to have to actually die before Major League Baseball and the MLBPA decide to do something.
One possible thing, which IIATMS has been writing about for months, is some sort of device that can keep maple bat pieces from flying out like projectiles. One such device is the Batglove, which is a thin safety film that goes over a bat like tape. According to its makers, Major League Baseball has tested it and has been poised to approve it for some time. IIATMS and the Batglove people say, however, that there has been resistance by bat manufacturers, specifically Rawlings.
As I noted this morning with the Steve Yeager story, it’s not as if maple bats are the only bats that can, if things break just wrong, pose a serious danger to players and fans. But it certainly seems like we’ve had far more close calls and/or incidents in which people have been hurt involving maple bats than we ever saw with ash.
In light of this baseball and the union’s silence on this is simply not acceptable. If we’re all being hysterical and maple bats truly are no more of a risk than ash, please, point us crazy folk in the direction of the data which proves us wrong. If, however, the anecdotal — and in some cases empirical — evidence which has a great many of people in and around the game worried that someone is going to get killed by a shattering maple bat is valid, something has to be done.
While we wait for that, why don’t we all take a look at the fantastic yet scary video of some of the more notable broken bat incidents in recent years, complied by lar from Wezen-Ball:
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)