Who's the next manager of the Blue Jays?

Sep 20, 2010, 5:05 PM EST

This is not exactly the most pressing question in the baseball blabosphere these days. While we obsess about La Russa and Torre and Mattingly and Ryne Sandberg, while we wonder who the next Mets’ boss will be (“I’m standing right here!” Jerry Manuel says, “I haven’t been fired yet!”) and while Bobby Valentine is shuttled off to every possible job opening, no one seems to care much about the Jays.

Even in a big (and very good) article about the outgoing Jays’ manager — Cito Gaston — there is only passing mention of his possible successor, and then no names are named. Maybe because, beyond a brief mention of wanting someone with MLB experience, the GM doesn’t know himself:

“I don’t have a criteria,” Anthopoulos said. “There are certain traits I
think anybody would agree that everyone looks for in a successful
manager. But I’m really not tied down to any style, whether it’s a
first-time manager or an experienced guy, or it’s age or background, I’m
really not limiting myself at all. I’m being incredibly open-minded.”

I don’t know who the perfect choice is for Toronto — the only candidate I’ve seen mentioned recently is Pat Listach — as they’re sort of a tweener when it comes to the success cycle. They have some older offensive pieces but young pitching. I’ll cop to not following the Jays as much as I follow a lot of other teams, but logic dictates that the future is really in the arms, so you want a guy who can handle a pitching staff.

Any ideas? None of the usual suspects out there really strike me as good fits.  I’d say a minor league guy might be best, assuming he’s had some experience with helping a smart organization work with young pitching.  Really, though, I’m kind of lost on this one and would like some of you guys to help me out.

1. andrewlw - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Brian Butterfield or bust. He also took a demotion this year from bench coach to 3rd base coach possibly because he knew he’d be heavily considered for the job.

2. Mark - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I’d like them to take somebody out of the minor league system who’s well respected or Butterfield. Someone who has a clue about balancing the present and future – someone who won’t bat Snider once every 3 days, and when he does not bat him last when John McDonald and Jose Molina are in the same lineup. Someone who won’t bench AAA MVP prospect Arencibia because John Buck needs to hit 20 HR’s – or at least will find the at bats for Arencibia at Lewis/Overbay/Encarnacion’s expense (ie have a catcher DH and a catcher catch so that Buck/Arencibia can both play with Molina on the bench).

Someone who has some respect to stats like OBP, and has an understanding that sacrifice bunting in front of the major league HR leader in Jose Bautista isn’t the right idea.

I don’t know if such a manager exists, but I’d like AA to at least avoid the name guys for the sake of picking a name. He’s done an excellent job so far, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he’ll take his time and make a good choice.

3. John_Michael - Sep 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I heard of a rumor that said that there was a rumor going around stating that Valentine might be considered.

4. John_Michael - Sep 20, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Two candidates come to mind. Mac and PC.
    I’m sure that there’s a program out there that can interface with live scoring feeds to calculate the best substitution/pitch call/steal, no steal in real time. The computer could even get data from Pitch F/X to know when to argue balls and strikes, which it could do with prerecorded and potentially escalating diatribes. In so far as the club house is concerned, a good mix of YouTube videos, should do the trick. Humorous, inspirational, and what ever.

5. Proudly Canadian - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Valentine is starting rumours again? He will not be hired.
    There are some good coaches in Toronto who should be retained. The hitting coach has gotten the best out ex journeymen such as Bautista and Buck. The pitching coach and the bullpen coach have worked well with the young pitchers. For example, Morrow was lost in Seattle, but resurrected his career in Toronto. Whoever is hired should retain these coaches. One reporter has suggested that since Toronto, has begun to sign Spanish speaking players, that the next manager should speak Spanish. There is a certain Spanish speaking coach in New York who is an ex catcher. We all know that a very high percentage of managers are ex catchers. The Yankee bench coach was also the AL Manager of the year in 2003.
    Come on down TONY PENA!

6. Proudly Canadian - Sep 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I forgot to mention that Toronto’s 2 prize farm hands are J. P. Arencibia (a catcher) and Kyle Drabek (a pitcher). They also have a young Cuban short stop at Double A who should be ready for the majors in 2012. The more I think about it, Pena seems like a great match for the Jays. Furthermore, both he and Jose Bautista are from the Dominican Republic.

7. Professor Longnose - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Girardi, after Jeter is named player-manager in NY and Sandberg takes over in Chicago.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Didn’t you know that no managing vacancy can be filled without Bobby V. being attached to it for some minimum period of time? It’s like a rule or something…maybe unwritten…

9. Ditto65 - Sep 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Damn you, unwritten rule!

10. Old Gator - Sep 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, like mercury in an alchemical alembic. Wanna turn shit into gold?

11. BC - Sep 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Maybe Bobby Cox will go back there?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5103)