Sep 21, 2010, 5:19 PM EDT
No specifics have emerged yet, but Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that “the Cardinals have sent Felipe Lopez home for the rest of the season.”
Lopez has a history of wearing out his welcome, but what makes this case interesting is that this is actually his second stint in St. Louis. He played for Tony La Russa and the Cardinals in 2008, so presumably they had a pretty good grasp of his various foibles.
Or maybe since Lopez hit .385 in his 43-game stint with the Cardinals the first time around they were just willing to overlook some stuff in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle again.
Either way, after being paid $1 million to hit .231/.310/.340 in 109 games Lopez is done in St. Louis.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 40
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)