Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Erick Aybar will be examined by a specialist today to determine if he has a sports hernia, but regardless of the news the Angels have shut down the shortstop for the remainder of the season.
Aybar injured his groin two weeks ago, but played through the pain until last Wednesday when he aggravated things while attempting to make a diving play defensively. He hasn’t played since and will finish the year hitting .254/.306/.333 in 132 games, which represents a 58-point drop in batting average and 137-point drop in OPS compared to his career-best campaign last season.
Brandon Wood has started five straight games in place of Aybar at shortstop and figures to see regular starts there for the final two weeks in what may prove to be his last chance to show he still belongs in the Angels’ long-term plans.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27