Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Erick Aybar will be examined by a specialist today to determine if he has a sports hernia, but regardless of the news the Angels have shut down the shortstop for the remainder of the season.
Aybar injured his groin two weeks ago, but played through the pain until last Wednesday when he aggravated things while attempting to make a diving play defensively. He hasn’t played since and will finish the year hitting .254/.306/.333 in 132 games, which represents a 58-point drop in batting average and 137-point drop in OPS compared to his career-best campaign last season.
Brandon Wood has started five straight games in place of Aybar at shortstop and figures to see regular starts there for the final two weeks in what may prove to be his last chance to show he still belongs in the Angels’ long-term plans.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 5
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 25
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)