Sep 21, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
According to the Chicago Tribune the FBI has arrested Sami Samir Hassoun and charged the 22-year-old Lebanese man with “plotting to bomb a strip of crowded Wrigleyville night spots around the time people were leaving a Dave Matthews concert at the ballpark over the weekend.”
Hassoun “was arrested as he placed a backpack containing what he thought were high explosives in a trash can in front of Sluggers on Clark Street, about a block south of Wrigley Field.” Instead the backpack contained a fake bomb that had been given to him by an undercover agent.
Here’s more from Robert Grant, the head of the FBI’s office in Chicago:
He was acting alone. He was not, I would say, highly skilled but definitely desirous of finding the material he needed to carry out his attack. His intent was to kill as many people as he could in an area of town that was highly populated, in an effort to cause as much destruction as possible.
Hassoun allegedly also had discussions with the undercover agent about other potential terrorist activities in and around Chicago, reportedly including “a biological attack on the city, poisoning Lake Michigan, attacking police officers, bombing the Willis Tower, and assassinating Mayor Richard Daley.”
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (132)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)