Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
It still isn’t very pretty, but .029 sure looks a lot better than .000 for Chris Carter.
After beginning his career in a brutal 0-for-33 slump that included 13 strikeouts, Carter finally delivered his first hit last night with a sharp single to left field off White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink. And then the A’s immediately removed him from the game for a pinch-runner.
Carter described getting his first hit as “the best feeling ever” and his run actually proved to be the game-winner for the A’s, as pinch-runner Gabe Gross scored to break a 0-0 tie in the seventh inning and Oakland went on to win 3-0.
Last night was actually Carter’s first home game, which means he’s 0-for-32 on the road and 1-for-2 in Oakland. “I feel like part of the team,” Carter told Alex Espinoza of MLB.com. “It started getting kind of stressful, but I got the monkey off my back and hopefully this gets me going.”
Carter’s hitless streak was the longest to begin a career since Vic Harris went 0-for-36 in 1972. It’ll take a while for his overall numbers to cease being hideous, but Carter batted .284/.380/.540 with 149 homers in 673 games as a minor leaguer and the 6-foot-5, 240-pound first baseman/left fielder is one of the best power-hitting prospects in baseball.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)