Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
It still isn’t very pretty, but .029 sure looks a lot better than .000 for Chris Carter.
After beginning his career in a brutal 0-for-33 slump that included 13 strikeouts, Carter finally delivered his first hit last night with a sharp single to left field off White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink. And then the A’s immediately removed him from the game for a pinch-runner.
Carter described getting his first hit as “the best feeling ever” and his run actually proved to be the game-winner for the A’s, as pinch-runner Gabe Gross scored to break a 0-0 tie in the seventh inning and Oakland went on to win 3-0.
Last night was actually Carter’s first home game, which means he’s 0-for-32 on the road and 1-for-2 in Oakland. “I feel like part of the team,” Carter told Alex Espinoza of MLB.com. “It started getting kind of stressful, but I got the monkey off my back and hopefully this gets me going.”
Carter’s hitless streak was the longest to begin a career since Vic Harris went 0-for-36 in 1972. It’ll take a while for his overall numbers to cease being hideous, but Carter batted .284/.380/.540 with 149 homers in 673 games as a minor leaguer and the 6-foot-5, 240-pound first baseman/left fielder is one of the best power-hitting prospects in baseball.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)