Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
It still isn’t very pretty, but .029 sure looks a lot better than .000 for Chris Carter.
After beginning his career in a brutal 0-for-33 slump that included 13 strikeouts, Carter finally delivered his first hit last night with a sharp single to left field off White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink. And then the A’s immediately removed him from the game for a pinch-runner.
Carter described getting his first hit as “the best feeling ever” and his run actually proved to be the game-winner for the A’s, as pinch-runner Gabe Gross scored to break a 0-0 tie in the seventh inning and Oakland went on to win 3-0.
Last night was actually Carter’s first home game, which means he’s 0-for-32 on the road and 1-for-2 in Oakland. “I feel like part of the team,” Carter told Alex Espinoza of MLB.com. “It started getting kind of stressful, but I got the monkey off my back and hopefully this gets me going.”
Carter’s hitless streak was the longest to begin a career since Vic Harris went 0-for-36 in 1972. It’ll take a while for his overall numbers to cease being hideous, but Carter batted .284/.380/.540 with 149 homers in 673 games as a minor leaguer and the 6-foot-5, 240-pound first baseman/left fielder is one of the best power-hitting prospects in baseball.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 230
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (234)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)