Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
It still isn’t very pretty, but .029 sure looks a lot better than .000 for Chris Carter.
After beginning his career in a brutal 0-for-33 slump that included 13 strikeouts, Carter finally delivered his first hit last night with a sharp single to left field off White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink. And then the A’s immediately removed him from the game for a pinch-runner.
Carter described getting his first hit as “the best feeling ever” and his run actually proved to be the game-winner for the A’s, as pinch-runner Gabe Gross scored to break a 0-0 tie in the seventh inning and Oakland went on to win 3-0.
Last night was actually Carter’s first home game, which means he’s 0-for-32 on the road and 1-for-2 in Oakland. “I feel like part of the team,” Carter told Alex Espinoza of MLB.com. “It started getting kind of stressful, but I got the monkey off my back and hopefully this gets me going.”
Carter’s hitless streak was the longest to begin a career since Vic Harris went 0-for-36 in 1972. It’ll take a while for his overall numbers to cease being hideous, but Carter batted .284/.380/.540 with 149 homers in 673 games as a minor leaguer and the 6-foot-5, 240-pound first baseman/left fielder is one of the best power-hitting prospects in baseball.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)