Jerry Manuel slams Joe Torre

Sep 21, 2010, 5:05 PM EST

Over the weekend, Joe Torre played the “sure, I’d listen if the Mets called” card, saying that the
Mets “are certainly an inviting situation.” The only problem: Jerry Manuel is still the manager of the Mets. Andy Martino the Daily News just spoke with Manuel about it, and this is what he said:

“I find it curious when someone comments about a job somebody already has . . .that’s not integrity

Look, you know that Jerry Manuel won’t be managing the Mets in 2011, and I know it too. I’m willing to bet that both Manuel and Torre know it as well.  But while the papers and the fans and the bloggers can scream for a manager’s head, there has to be a certain etiquette, it seems, about managers talking about other jobs when those jobs aren’t open. In this I’m in agreement with Manuel. The comments by Torre were not good form.

And Torre can’t reasonably claim that he was speaking hypothetically or taken out of context on this. He’s been around this league for about 50 years, and he’s been managing for over 30 of those years. He has to know by now that when you’re talking to a reporter from the New York Post about the Mets that you’re being asked if you want that job.

1. Mr. Heyward - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I agree, but c’mon, if a lie is told enough it sounds true. Torre probably thought it was true from hearing about the “opening” so much in the last month even though somewhere in the back of his mind he knew it wasn’t an open spot yet. A short anecdote: I recently was on a camping trip and we played an epic best of three games of beer pong 2v2 and my team lost 2 of 3. Later that evening it was spread around that my team won 2 of 3, not the other way around. The next morning this lie was a matter of fact for some time. Only after extensive arguing and then accurate recollection, did we realize that we had lost the best-of-three series. We even had one of the winners think he had lost. HA! Perfect metaphor, expect the whole drinkin’ part, right? Although, who’s to say Torre wasn’t wasted when he said what he said??

2. bofarr - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Manuel is dead man walkin’. He knows it, the players know it, the fans know it, Torre knows it. Jerry should be more worried about squeezing some wins out of the Mets and padding his resume to at least have a job somewhere in organized baseball next season instead of having rabbit years and crying about what a probable HOF player/manager has to say about the desirability of the Mets job which clearly is not Manuel’s at this point.

3. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Torre basically just walks out on the Dodgers and then says, ‘Sure, I’ll take a job that isn’t even open yet, and hasn’t been offered.’
    What was the definition for entitlement again?

4. bofarr - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Manuel is dead man walkin’. He knows it, the players know it, the fans know it, Torre knows it. Jerry should be more worried about squeezing some wins out of the Mets and padding his resume to at least have a job somewhere in organized baseball next season. Having rabbit years and crying about what a probable HOF player/manager has to say about the desirability of the Mets job which clearly is not his just makes him sound bitter. I don’t blame him if he is but unless your name is Bobby Cox you don’t get to choose when to hit the door as a manager in MLB.

5. The Rabbit - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Did I miss something here?
    According to the link, nobody talked to Torre. It was one of those unidentified “someone who knows Torre” interviews.

6. The Rabbit - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Did I miss something here?
    According to the link, the writer didn’t ask Torre. It was one of those unidentified “someone who knows Torre” interviews.

7. Kanonen80 - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Another anecdote (though made up):
    Microsoft PR person comes up to me and says: “If Bill Gate was struck by lightning, and you were offered the position of CEO of Microsoft tomorrow, would you take it?”
    I say: “Yeah, sure, that would be interesting”.
    Bill Gates calls me, angrily: “Hey, I heard you want me to be struck by lighting so you can take my job!!! Is this true?!?!””
    Joe Torre didn’t come out to someone unprompted and say “I want to manage the Mets”. If a reporter’s asking, the hypothetical situation is that the position is open. I don’t see how this is a problem.

8. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM

If you’re referring to Steve Ballmer, I suspect that’s about how Gates felt when he checked the value of his MS stock after the Vista fiasco went down…and down…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5677)
  2. M. Kemp (3212)
  3. J. Kang (3036)
  4. C. McGehee (3023)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3005)
  1. J. Upton (2948)