Sep 21, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Still sore after tweaking his left knee over the weekend, Joe Mauer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Ron Gardenhire made it clear that the MRI is merely precautionary, saying team doctors “don’t expect anything” serious to be discovered, but because Mauer missed most of his rookie season in 2004 following surgery on the same knee it doesn’t take much to raise eyebrows.
For now he’s considered day-to-day, but didn’t take batting practice Monday and almost surely won’t play until Friday at the earliest even if the MRI comes back clean. Minnesota’s magic number is down to two, so the Twins can afford to give Mauer plenty of rest down the stretch.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)