Sep 21, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Still sore after tweaking his left knee over the weekend, Joe Mauer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Ron Gardenhire made it clear that the MRI is merely precautionary, saying team doctors “don’t expect anything” serious to be discovered, but because Mauer missed most of his rookie season in 2004 following surgery on the same knee it doesn’t take much to raise eyebrows.
For now he’s considered day-to-day, but didn’t take batting practice Monday and almost surely won’t play until Friday at the earliest even if the MRI comes back clean. Minnesota’s magic number is down to two, so the Twins can afford to give Mauer plenty of rest down the stretch.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8