Sep 21, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Still sore after tweaking his left knee over the weekend, Joe Mauer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Ron Gardenhire made it clear that the MRI is merely precautionary, saying team doctors “don’t expect anything” serious to be discovered, but because Mauer missed most of his rookie season in 2004 following surgery on the same knee it doesn’t take much to raise eyebrows.
For now he’s considered day-to-day, but didn’t take batting practice Monday and almost surely won’t play until Friday at the earliest even if the MRI comes back clean. Minnesota’s magic number is down to two, so the Twins can afford to give Mauer plenty of rest down the stretch.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)