Sep 21, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Still sore after tweaking his left knee over the weekend, Joe Mauer is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Ron Gardenhire made it clear that the MRI is merely precautionary, saying team doctors “don’t expect anything” serious to be discovered, but because Mauer missed most of his rookie season in 2004 following surgery on the same knee it doesn’t take much to raise eyebrows.
For now he’s considered day-to-day, but didn’t take batting practice Monday and almost surely won’t play until Friday at the earliest even if the MRI comes back clean. Minnesota’s magic number is down to two, so the Twins can afford to give Mauer plenty of rest down the stretch.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)