Sep 21, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that Joe Mauer could be out another four or five days after an MRI showed inflammation in his ailing left knee.
Gardenhire expects that Mauer will receive a cortisone shot for the knee, potentially sidelining him until the weekend. No serious problems were detected, but with the Twins in position to clinch the AL Central title as soon as tonight, there’s no reason for the team to rush back its MVP catcher.
Mauer left Sunday’s game with knee soreness and didn’t play Monday. Jose Morales started yesterday. Drew Butera will catch and bat ninth tonight.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)