Sep 21, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that Joe Mauer could be out another four or five days after an MRI showed inflammation in his ailing left knee.
Gardenhire expects that Mauer will receive a cortisone shot for the knee, potentially sidelining him until the weekend. No serious problems were detected, but with the Twins in position to clinch the AL Central title as soon as tonight, there’s no reason for the team to rush back its MVP catcher.
Mauer left Sunday’s game with knee soreness and didn’t play Monday. Jose Morales started yesterday. Drew Butera will catch and bat ninth tonight.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)