Sep 21, 2010, 6:40 PM EST
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that Joe Mauer could be out another four or five days after an MRI showed inflammation in his ailing left knee.
Gardenhire expects that Mauer will receive a cortisone shot for the knee, potentially sidelining him until the weekend. No serious problems were detected, but with the Twins in position to clinch the AL Central title as soon as tonight, there’s no reason for the team to rush back its MVP catcher.
Mauer left Sunday’s game with knee soreness and didn’t play Monday. Jose Morales started yesterday. Drew Butera will catch and bat ninth tonight.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 13
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)