Sep 21, 2010, 6:40 PM EDT
Manager Ron Gardenhire said Tuesday that Joe Mauer could be out another four or five days after an MRI showed inflammation in his ailing left knee.
Gardenhire expects that Mauer will receive a cortisone shot for the knee, potentially sidelining him until the weekend. No serious problems were detected, but with the Twins in position to clinch the AL Central title as soon as tonight, there’s no reason for the team to rush back its MVP catcher.
Mauer left Sunday’s game with knee soreness and didn’t play Monday. Jose Morales started yesterday. Drew Butera will catch and bat ninth tonight.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)