Sep 21, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Though Joe Torre did not personally speak with Jerry Manuel today, he did issue a public apology just a short while ago while speaking with reporters in Los Angeles. He also formally “closed the door” on the possibly of managing the Mets.
Here’s just a part of the public mea culpa, courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com and Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“I apologize. He is right that I shouldn’t have said that, and I don’t
think I did. Somebody asked me if I would take a call from [Mets owner] Fred Wilpon.
I have known Fred Wilpon forever. I won’t be managing the Mets, and I
thought I made that clear yesterday. It was about taking a call as
opposed to looking for a job. I went to New York to pay tribute to George Steinbrenner. If I was looking for a job, I probably wouldn’t have gone to New York.”
“I don’t want to say I’m definitely not going to do this again, but
that’s only other [teams] aside from the Mets. … I spent 12 years
forging a relationship with those fans in New York. I don’t want to all
of a sudden go across the river and have them get mad at me.”
Hear that other managers of baseball? Joe Torre is coming to take your job! Watch your back, Mattingly.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 6
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 7
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)