Sep 21, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Though Joe Torre did not personally speak with Jerry Manuel today, he did issue a public apology just a short while ago while speaking with reporters in Los Angeles. He also formally “closed the door” on the possibly of managing the Mets.
Here’s just a part of the public mea culpa, courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com and Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“I apologize. He is right that I shouldn’t have said that, and I don’t
think I did. Somebody asked me if I would take a call from [Mets owner] Fred Wilpon.
I have known Fred Wilpon forever. I won’t be managing the Mets, and I
thought I made that clear yesterday. It was about taking a call as
opposed to looking for a job. I went to New York to pay tribute to George Steinbrenner. If I was looking for a job, I probably wouldn’t have gone to New York.”
“I don’t want to say I’m definitely not going to do this again, but
that’s only other [teams] aside from the Mets. … I spent 12 years
forging a relationship with those fans in New York. I don’t want to all
of a sudden go across the river and have them get mad at me.”
Hear that other managers of baseball? Joe Torre is coming to take your job! Watch your back, Mattingly.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)