Sep 21, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Though Joe Torre did not personally speak with Jerry Manuel today, he did issue a public apology just a short while ago while speaking with reporters in Los Angeles. He also formally “closed the door” on the possibly of managing the Mets.
Here’s just a part of the public mea culpa, courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com and Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“I apologize. He is right that I shouldn’t have said that, and I don’t
think I did. Somebody asked me if I would take a call from [Mets owner] Fred Wilpon.
I have known Fred Wilpon forever. I won’t be managing the Mets, and I
thought I made that clear yesterday. It was about taking a call as
opposed to looking for a job. I went to New York to pay tribute to George Steinbrenner. If I was looking for a job, I probably wouldn’t have gone to New York.”
“I don’t want to say I’m definitely not going to do this again, but
that’s only other [teams] aside from the Mets. … I spent 12 years
forging a relationship with those fans in New York. I don’t want to all
of a sudden go across the river and have them get mad at me.”
Hear that other managers of baseball? Joe Torre is coming to take your job! Watch your back, Mattingly.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)