Sep 21, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Though Joe Torre did not personally speak with Jerry Manuel today, he did issue a public apology just a short while ago while speaking with reporters in Los Angeles. He also formally “closed the door” on the possibly of managing the Mets.
Here’s just a part of the public mea culpa, courtesy of Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com and Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“I apologize. He is right that I shouldn’t have said that, and I don’t
think I did. Somebody asked me if I would take a call from [Mets owner] Fred Wilpon.
I have known Fred Wilpon forever. I won’t be managing the Mets, and I
thought I made that clear yesterday. It was about taking a call as
opposed to looking for a job. I went to New York to pay tribute to George Steinbrenner. If I was looking for a job, I probably wouldn’t have gone to New York.”
“I don’t want to say I’m definitely not going to do this again, but
that’s only other [teams] aside from the Mets. … I spent 12 years
forging a relationship with those fans in New York. I don’t want to all
of a sudden go across the river and have them get mad at me.”
Hear that other managers of baseball? Joe Torre is coming to take your job! Watch your back, Mattingly.
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)