Sep 21, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Josh Hamilton hasn’t played since bruising his ribs crashing into the outfield wall on September 4 and Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports that the MVP candidate visited a specialist in Los Angeles yesterday to get another opinion on the injury.
Hamilton has been completely shut down since experiencing pain while trying to take some swings last Tuesday, receiving a pair of cortisone shots during that time. Ron Washington declined to comment on Hamilton’s status because “that would be speculating.”
Texas’ big cushion in the AL West means they can play it very safe with Hamilton with an eye toward simply having him healthy for the playoffs. Plus, while filling in for Hamilton over the past two weeks David Murphy has hit .397.
Hamilton leads the league in batting average (.361), slugging percentage (.635), and OPS (1.049) while ranking second in on-base percentage (.414) and fourth in homers (31) despite missing 19 games (and counting).
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)