Manny Acta is either channeling Yogi Berra, or else he's really bad at fractions

Sep 21, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Indians manager Manny Acta is not pleased that his pitchers can’t get out of an inning:

“We’ve stressed finishing innings a lot to these kids,” said manager
Manny Acta. “But sometimes when they get two out, they tend to lose
focus and concentration.

When you have two out, you’re three-fourths of the way there. You need to zero in, make a pitch and get out of there.”

It’s OK, Manny. Leave the math to those nerds like Bob Geren and that pencilneck in Houston or wherever he is.  You’re still, by far, the most stylin’ manager in the majors.

1. CM_Wang - Sep 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM

The irony is that Acta is actually quite stats-friendly and a very smart guy.
    But really it’s all about the hat. Put Chief Wahoo on that bad boy and let him wear it while he manages.

2. Kiwicricket - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Manny is thinking deeply about things not only according to baseball. Much like this gentleman:
    “This may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it. When I’m talking about.. when I’m talking about myself, and when he’s talking about myself, all of us are talking about me.”
    ~ George W Bush

3. JBerardi - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I was going to say, given Acta’s rep, that might actually have been an intentional Yogi-ism.

4. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM

2010 MLB average batting average is .258.
    100% – .258 is ~=75%. So, if you have two outs, and you don’t walk the hitter, then you have a 75% chance of getting out of the inning, or in other words statistics put ‘you three-fourths of the way there.’ So, if ‘and you don’t walk the hitter’ = ‘they tend to lost focus and concentration,’ then this might be a fairly clever intentional Yogi-ism.
    Yea, I’m stretching a bit here…

5. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:38 PM

2010 MLB average batting average is .258.
    Yea, I’m stretching a bit here…

6. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM

2010 MLB average batting average is .258.
    Yea, I’m stretching a bit here…

7. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Technical error. I’m not that emphatic about my post.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3487)