Praying for a Massive Tie in the National League

Sep 21, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT

David Pinto has been tracking Massive Tie Scenarios over at Baseball Musings. While I would like my rooting interest to win out and all other NL teams to lose as much as humanly possible, that’s rather provincial of me. This sounds way more fun:

The Phillies did their best to kill the chances of a five-way tie in the
National League by defeating the Braves Monday night. However, they
did increase the chances of a four-way tie between the Braves and the
three wild card contenders. We can still get a tie at 93 wins.

And if that happenes?

The three NL West teams would play a two-day single elimination
tournament to determine the NL West winner. The three remaining teams
would then play a two-day, single elimination tournament to determine
the Wild Card winner.

I’m guessing there have been better things that have occurred in the history of baseball, but as I sit here right now, I can’t think of any.

Pinto updates this daily, so by all means, bookmark Baseball Musings and check back.  And pray for insanity, even if it coming to pass would ensure that Braves, Giants, Rockies and Padres fans would all have heart attacks while it was being resolved.

1. geoknows - Sep 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Thus ensuring that baseball will continue through Thanksgiving this year.

2. ThatGuy - Sep 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM

So would they push back the AL Playoffs as well or start those on time, and than just have a catch up week prior to the World Series? Lots O’Questions there….

3. birdmancometh - Sep 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM

This…Is…Awesome. Obviously, single game elim is a terrible way to decide a baseball season, but this would be worth it. Now, how would they decide who gets a bye in each tourney if they are all tied? And where would they play the games?

4. Matt S. - Sep 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM

And if they’re still tied, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until we have a winner.

5. Kelly - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM

And I bet if it happened, the Yankees would get to decide when everyone plays…. /bitter Twins ’09 fan

6. RichardInBigD - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM

My only question is, how do you have a single elimination tournament among three teams, assuming they are all equal? If they aren’t all equal, why do we need a playoff?

7. Kelly - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:21 PM

8. minnesconsin_ad - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM

and yet stark, verducci, et al think the current playoff system lacks drama? well-played, national league.i like the cut of your jib!

9. Mr. Heyward - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM

And they said there’s no ties in baseball.

10. RichardInBigD - Sep 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I was at the All Star Game in Milwaukee in 2002, and I can tell you, sir, that there most assuredly ARE ties in baseball!

11. Route36West - Sep 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM

that would be horrible for every NL team not playing in Philly. You do not want to give the Phillies more rest to get healthy. If the NL is close going into the last series between the Phillies and Braves the Phillies will probably use there big three which could leave 1 or 2 of them unavaible or tired for the start of the playoffs. That would be the best thing for every world series hopeful team in the NL. But if there is this big tie breaker at the end of the year that would give Hamels Halladay and Oswalt time to rest.

12. Trumpet - Sep 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM

The possiblilies for madness and awesomeness that would come from a three way tie makes me really wish this would happen, two days of tension filled baseball before the main event of the playoffs would make for some compelling baseball and TV

13. Jess_Ball - Sep 22, 2010 at 1:00 AM

They could go to the roller-rink…and do the limbo competition and assign a number to each player each time the stick is lowered a notch and just do a composite score for each team. I’m not 100% sure the limbo contests are still a part of the Skate-Land culture.
    Maybe a Dance-a-thon?
    Talent contest?
    At least you don’t have to worry about Cincinnati and its giant roster. It’s unfair to use only 9, so maybe a roster of 15 or 17? That would be about the number of players used in a national league game. X-tream Baseball!
    (Skee-ball would actually be the easiest thing to do, but I’d worry about the pitching rotation if it were my team, with that underhand toss and all)

Orioles turn AL East on its head