Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
“I figured the guy would rather me trip him rather than get tased”
– Braves leftfielder Matt Diaz, commenting on his tripping up of the dude who ran on the field in the red body suit last night during the Braves-Phillies game.
Best comment I heard about it: the guy must have been lefthanded, because otherwise Diaz would have missed him.
Second best comment I heard: Lucky Martin Prado didn’t hit him, or else he would have bounced to short, been tossed to the second baseman and then fired down to first. Zing!
Oh, and to head off more angry comments like the ones in the recap thread: Cole Hamels pitched wonderfully last night. He’s truly a prince among men. If I had a daughter of marrying age, I would feel obligated to tender her and a sizable dowry to Mr. Hamels post haste.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)