Quote of the Day: Matt Diaz on The Red Man

Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Hey look: the Braves actually hit something last night!

“I figured the guy would rather me trip him rather than get tased”

Braves leftfielder Matt Diaz, commenting on his tripping up of the dude who ran on the field in the red body suit last night during the Braves-Phillies game.

Best comment I heard about it: the guy must have been lefthanded, because otherwise Diaz would have missed him.

Second best comment I heard: Lucky Martin Prado didn’t hit him, or else he would have bounced to short, been tossed to the second baseman and then fired down to first. Zing!

Oh, and to head off more angry comments like the ones in the recap thread: Cole Hamels pitched wonderfully last night. He’s truly a prince among men. If I had a daughter of marrying age, I would feel obligated to tender her and a sizable dowry to Mr. Hamels post haste.

1. Megary - Sep 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

My favorite part of the story (from mlb.com):
    The Phillies fans seemed to appreciate Diaz’s action and cheered after he forced the man to fall to the ground. The Braves outfielder responded with a tip of the cap.
    “I like the Philly fans,” Diaz said. “They’re fun to mess around with. Sometimes they’re attention-starved. So if you turn around during the game, they’ll treat you right. They’ve always treated me right here.”

2. Jonny5 - Sep 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

You don’t have to wait until she’s marrying age unless you want to get all “technical” about it.

3. RDansky - Sep 21, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Speaking as a Phillies fan, I just want to say that I appreciate your looking beneath the tough, brutal and cynical front we so often present to the world to see the delicate, unique snowflakes we all are deep down underneath. We may throw snowballs at Santa, but it’s only because in our heart of hearts, we’re still hurting. All we want is love. Well, that and a six game lead by the time this series with the Braves wraps up.

4. matt - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I think Diaz might just like the fact that there are fans in the stands at all..

5. Kevin S. - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I guess it all depends on one’s definition of “marrying age,” doesn’t it?

6. nps6724 - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

It’s sad when I yearn for more Yankees fans but that’s what Philly fans do I guess.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3638)