Sep 21, 2010, 5:39 PM EDT
Adam Morris of Lonestarball just tweeted something that made my mind reel for a few seconds:
No starting pitcher who debuted in the majors after 1967 has been elected to the Hall of Fame.
Nolan Ryan’s first game was in 1966. Since then the only arguable exception is Dennis Eckersley, but he obviously wasn’t inducted on the strength of his starting pitching.
This speaks mostly to a period of good-but-not-great pitchers who came up after the Tom Seaver/Phil Niekro/Nolan Ryan/Don Sutton crowd. Guys like Jack Morris. Dave Stieb. Dennis Martinez. An untold number of guys who were drafted and began their development in the early 70s environment in which 275 innings was the expectation, not grounds for a union grievance. How many Hall of Fame arms were blown up during that time?
Whatever the cause, it will end soon. Bert Blyleven should be in by now and we shouldn’t even be talking about this, but he may very well make it next year. We’re a couple years away from Maddux, Glavine, Randy Johnson and the giant clusterf— that will be Roger Clemens’ eligibility period.
Between Ryan and those guys, though: no one, and that’s interesting if for no other reason than it made me think of why it was the case in the first place.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (75)