Which teams will fire their managers this offseason?

Sep 21, 2010, 12:05 PM EDT

How many skipper openings will their be this year? Five? Ten? I'll go with eight.

As Bob Nightengale notes in the USA Today, there’s a chance for an unprecedented number of managerial changes this year.

Nightengale does his own rundown, but for fun, I’m going to say there will be eight changes: Blue Jays, White Sox, Mariners, Braves, Marlins, Mets, Brewers, and Diamondbacks (I don’t include the Dodgers, who will be moving Don Mattingly into the job, but if you want to count them, make it nine).

Thoughts:

• The Jays and Braves are forgone conclusions, what with Bobby Cox and Cito Gaston retiring. I don’t think the Mariners, Marlins, Mets and Brewers declining to retain their current skippers are much more controversial choices. I suppose Kirk Gibson could stay on, but I just kind of doubt it. I think Kevin Towers will get the GM job in Arizona that he’ll want to go with his own man.
  • Ozzie Guillen leaving Chicago is perhaps a bit of a longshot — he’s under contract — but I get the feeling that the Kenny Williams/Ozzie show has run its course, and Guillen will be allowed to leave for Florida, technically because he’ll be fired, but that it will really be a mutual agreement kind of thing.
  • I think Tony La Russa will stay on with the Cardinals one more year. I’ve gone back and forth on this, but Pujols is guaranteed to be there in 2011 because of the team option, and I could see La Russa wanting to ride that horse for one more season, leaving just before the team gets over-leveraged on salary or (perish the thought) Pujols leaves in a P.R. nightmare.
  • Finally, I didn’t include the Cubs on that list as I’m hearing more and more that ownership and — more importantly — the players really like Mike Quade, and I think the Cubs will make the controversial but ultimately wise move to keep him on.

So those are my predictions. How about yours?

1. John_Michael - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Sheet, that’s a lot of potential Bobby Valentine rumors.

2. klbader - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I have it confirmed that Bobby Valentine is going to be managing my neighbor’s son’s little league team in New Hope, Minnesota. I think the kids will respond well to his fire and determination to win. Also, what kid doesn’t love fake moustaches and glasses?

3. YANKEES1996 - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I am in agreement with you on most of your manager feelings and comments. If the Cubs do not hand the keys to Sandberg this off season I would not want to be in Chicago next year if the Cubs start off poorly, it will be a complete nightmare up there.

4. Trevor B - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

5 or less managerial changes. Craig, want to wager $5? Ha ha.

5. Pisano - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I don’t know how many will go , but the first on my list will be big mouth Ozzie. His dog and pony show with the Sox has gotten old and it’s time for him to go .

6. Jonny5 - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

If some teams don’t fire someone (cough cough Jerry Manuel) the fans should demonstrate and burn all their team apparel. And if i was Ozzie’s boss since the advent of Twitter, he’d be gone too. Next contract has a no Twitter clause. Gauranteed. Oh, and I’d love to see LaRussa canned. Yeah, just like that.

7. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

The idea of Ozzie in Macondo fills me with horror and disgust, even though he fits in perfectly with the suppurating cluster of miscreants, reprobates, liars, bullshit artists, incompetents, white collar crooks and various and assorted lunatics who already run the government and public services down here – not to mention the baseball team. The best part: Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua made much of being “team players” – a way of saying they wanted a bootlicker as a manager. Now they want someone with “fire” in his belly. I wish them the worst possible luck in reconciling those irreconcilable opposites.

8. Paper Lions - Sep 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The only thing worse than re-signing LaRussa (it actually isn’t his choice as his contract is up) would be signing Torre, Baker, or any other manager that doesn’t have the same philosophy as the current front office. I am assuming that the front office was not the driving force behind dumb moves like signing Aaron Miles, Randy Winn, or Suppan or trading from freaking Pedro Feliz….if those moves were LaRussa-driven, they the Cardinals have bigger problems.

9. oldberry - Sep 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I have a strong hunch that despite currently being on-board and on-salary for the 2011 season, Pittsburgh will be letting John Russell walk. And none too soon…

10. Mr. Heyward - Sep 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Ozzie stays

11. Omega - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:07 PM

ok, here is my idea for changing all 30 managers this offseason.
    List all the teams in alphabetical order by team name, not city name.
    Everyone moves down one team, the guy on the bottom goes to the top of the list.
    Do this every 2 years, just for giggles.

12. Proudly Canadian - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Just don’t connect Valentine to Toronto.
    Since Red Sox fans are perpetually down on Francona, I am starting a Bobby Valentine to Boston rumour.

13. Proudly Canadian - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I thought that the job of manager of the Pirates was only fit for a dog. Now I find out that his name is Jack Russell.

14. paul - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Fortunately, Red Sox fans don’t make that call. This was the best managing job he has done since he has been there. He has taken a team that has trotted out half a Triple A lineup since June, Beckett and Lackey turn to blubber if they have to pitch against anyone except the AL West and they will still finish 3rd.
    When the day comes and Francona retires, Epstein would never, never, never hire a re-tread who is set in the old school ways. It will only be a younger guy who is receptive to the quasi moneyball way of thinking.

15. paul - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I really think the Cubs are going after Torre. With Ozzie, if he is out of a job, a dark horse. Ozzie is a very good field manager.

16. David - Sep 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM

LaRussa should be out in St. Louis but they have the worst ownersip in baseball and the fans
    seem to believe anything they are told.

17. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I pray that you are correct. And I’m an atheist.

18. Materialman - Sep 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

The ownership sucks in St. Louis. La Russa is done there, he knows it’s time to move on.

19. Old Gator - Sep 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I wonder if he has one of those Michael Vick chew toys. All of my dogs have one.

20. Materialman - Sep 21, 2010 at 3:22 PM

If Torre thought LA was bad, wait till he manages the Cubs….

21. BigBBFan - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Hey Craig, nothing like salting your headline picks with two gimmee’s that announced their retirement months ago. Mentioning it later does not qualify. Are you that desperate for something to write?

22. BigBBFan - Sep 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Hey Craig, nothing like salting your headline picks with two gimmee’s that announced their retirement months ago. Mentioning it later does not qualify. In today’s tabaloid enviornment you fit right in. Are you that desperate for something to write?

23. phill71 - Sep 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Ozzie Guillen has about as much chance of being fired/mutual agreed as I do of being Pope. He has a World Championship ticket punched from 2005. Not forgotten about in Chicago. It would have to be a huge name to replace, and since the Sox are tightfisted when paying managers, forget his leaving

24. bigtrav425 - Sep 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Im going to throw in Manny Acta ..This has been a HORRIBLE season for the Tribe and the coaching has been even worse.How the hitting coach still has a job is beyond me.This was a horrible hire from the get go considering they really didnt interview anyone else for the gig.i think it was 1 other guy and thats it

25. MVD - Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 AM

The Reds will have a new manager because Dusty Baker will parlay this year into something new. And it will not be Tony LaRussa. I fail to understand where any of that speculation came from, especially after our feud has developed. I doubt he would even consider coming here, but I dont see how the fans could respond positively to it at all. I was never technically ok with a former Cub (Baker) as our manager in the first place, but I HATE LaRussa now.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3806)