Sep 22, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
Alcides Escobar was benched yesterday in the midst of 0-for-18 and 3-for-38 slumps, and Brewers hitting coach Dave Sveum told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the rookie shortstop has a flaw in his swing:
He has to change his mechanics. What he’s doing won’t hold up to big-league pitching on a consistent basis. He has a winter project to work on. He’s got to understand it’s a game of adjustments. It’s very difficult, the way he hits, to use his God-given hand-eye coordination. He’s so front-foot forward. Sometimes you hit rock bottom before you change. It’s a game of adjustments and he has to make some.
I’m not suggesting Sveum is wrong about Escobar, but mid-September sure seems like an odd time to talk about a player needing to make major adjustments to his swing. Escobar has been in the majors, working with Sveum, for the past six months, so seemingly either the hitting coach just came to the realization that big changes are necessary or the shortstop wasn’t willing to listen until he fell into a prolonged slump. Either way, not great news for Brewers fans.
Escobar has hit just .237/.288/.327 in 528 plate appearances spread over 137 games, ranking dead last in the league in both on-base percentage and OPS.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 31
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL