Sep 22, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Here we have some good news and bad news.
The good? Major league teams are beginning to take concussions seriously.
The bad? According to MLB.com’s Alex DiFilippo, Royals infielder Chris Getz has been shut down for the rest of the 2010 season.
Getz, 27, was struck in the head while sliding into second base on a steal attempt in mid-September. He’s had bouts of headaches and nausea ever since and experienced renewed dizziness while trying to shag fly balls Monday during a routine pregame drill.
“Effectively he’s finished for the year,” Royals head athletic trainer
Nick Kenney said Wednesday. “We will have a return appointment with Dr. Collins in
approximately three weeks from now. As we all know, Major League
Baseball as well as the NFL and NHL, are taking a very hard stance
against concussions. There has to be certain guidelines in place. We are
following those guidelines at this point in time.”
Getz turned in a .237/.302/.277 batting line and nine extra-base hits in 224 at-bats this season as a backup infielder for the Royals. He’s expected to be ready for the club’s offseason program, which begins in November, and will try to secure a spot on the Royals’ roster as a utilityman heading into the start of the 2011 season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)