Sep 22, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Here we have some good news and bad news.
The good? Major league teams are beginning to take concussions seriously.
The bad? According to MLB.com’s Alex DiFilippo, Royals infielder Chris Getz has been shut down for the rest of the 2010 season.
Getz, 27, was struck in the head while sliding into second base on a steal attempt in mid-September. He’s had bouts of headaches and nausea ever since and experienced renewed dizziness while trying to shag fly balls Monday during a routine pregame drill.
“Effectively he’s finished for the year,” Royals head athletic trainer
Nick Kenney said Wednesday. “We will have a return appointment with Dr. Collins in
approximately three weeks from now. As we all know, Major League
Baseball as well as the NFL and NHL, are taking a very hard stance
against concussions. There has to be certain guidelines in place. We are
following those guidelines at this point in time.”
Getz turned in a .237/.302/.277 batting line and nine extra-base hits in 224 at-bats this season as a backup infielder for the Royals. He’s expected to be ready for the club’s offseason program, which begins in November, and will try to secure a spot on the Royals’ roster as a utilityman heading into the start of the 2011 season.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (135)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)