Sep 22, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Here we have some good news and bad news.
The good? Major league teams are beginning to take concussions seriously.
The bad? According to MLB.com’s Alex DiFilippo, Royals infielder Chris Getz has been shut down for the rest of the 2010 season.
Getz, 27, was struck in the head while sliding into second base on a steal attempt in mid-September. He’s had bouts of headaches and nausea ever since and experienced renewed dizziness while trying to shag fly balls Monday during a routine pregame drill.
“Effectively he’s finished for the year,” Royals head athletic trainer
Nick Kenney said Wednesday. “We will have a return appointment with Dr. Collins in
approximately three weeks from now. As we all know, Major League
Baseball as well as the NFL and NHL, are taking a very hard stance
against concussions. There has to be certain guidelines in place. We are
following those guidelines at this point in time.”
Getz turned in a .237/.302/.277 batting line and nine extra-base hits in 224 at-bats this season as a backup infielder for the Royals. He’s expected to be ready for the club’s offseason program, which begins in November, and will try to secure a spot on the Royals’ roster as a utilityman heading into the start of the 2011 season.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)