Sep 22, 2010, 8:23 PM EDT
Here we have some good news and bad news.
The good? Major league teams are beginning to take concussions seriously.
The bad? According to MLB.com’s Alex DiFilippo, Royals infielder Chris Getz has been shut down for the rest of the 2010 season.
Getz, 27, was struck in the head while sliding into second base on a steal attempt in mid-September. He’s had bouts of headaches and nausea ever since and experienced renewed dizziness while trying to shag fly balls Monday during a routine pregame drill.
“Effectively he’s finished for the year,” Royals head athletic trainer
Nick Kenney said Wednesday. “We will have a return appointment with Dr. Collins in
approximately three weeks from now. As we all know, Major League
Baseball as well as the NFL and NHL, are taking a very hard stance
against concussions. There has to be certain guidelines in place. We are
following those guidelines at this point in time.”
Getz turned in a .237/.302/.277 batting line and nine extra-base hits in 224 at-bats this season as a backup infielder for the Royals. He’s expected to be ready for the club’s offseason program, which begins in November, and will try to secure a spot on the Royals’ roster as a utilityman heading into the start of the 2011 season.
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 12
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 31
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)