Sep 22, 2010, 8:23 PM EST
Here we have some good news and bad news.
The good? Major league teams are beginning to take concussions seriously.
The bad? According to MLB.com’s Alex DiFilippo, Royals infielder Chris Getz has been shut down for the rest of the 2010 season.
Getz, 27, was struck in the head while sliding into second base on a steal attempt in mid-September. He’s had bouts of headaches and nausea ever since and experienced renewed dizziness while trying to shag fly balls Monday during a routine pregame drill.
“Effectively he’s finished for the year,” Royals head athletic trainer
Nick Kenney said Wednesday. “We will have a return appointment with Dr. Collins in
approximately three weeks from now. As we all know, Major League
Baseball as well as the NFL and NHL, are taking a very hard stance
against concussions. There has to be certain guidelines in place. We are
following those guidelines at this point in time.”
Getz turned in a .237/.302/.277 batting line and nine extra-base hits in 224 at-bats this season as a backup infielder for the Royals. He’s expected to be ready for the club’s offseason program, which begins in November, and will try to secure a spot on the Royals’ roster as a utilityman heading into the start of the 2011 season.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)