Sep 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EST
Dan Uggla has asked the Marlins for a five-year, $58 million contract extension, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
Good luck with that.
Uggla is already under team control for next season as an arbitration-eligible player, so the Marlins shouldn’t really feel a ton of pressure to lock him up long term. Beyond that, Uggla is already 30 years old and pretty bad defensively at second base, so signing him for $12 million per season through age 35 is hardly a no-brainer even if the Marlins weren’t pinching pennies.
Jackson reports that Florida has offered Uggla a three-year deal worth around $8 million per season, which is certainly a lot more sensible but probably won’t be enough to keep him from hitting the open market after 2011. He’s in line to make $10 to $12 million via arbitration and cashing him in for prospects or taking draft picks when he leaves as a free agent would be a reasonable decision by the Marlins.
Uggla is very good offensively for a second baseman, hitting .283/.367/.506 this season and .262/.348/.487 for his career, but gives back quite a few of those runs on defense already, may be a year or two from a position change, and wouldn’t stand out nearly as much at the plate as a corner outfielder or corner infielder. He has the same career adjusted OPS+ as outfielders like Nick Swisher, Brad Hawpe, and Pat Burrell.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)