Sep 22, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
Dan Uggla has asked the Marlins for a five-year, $58 million contract extension, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
Good luck with that.
Uggla is already under team control for next season as an arbitration-eligible player, so the Marlins shouldn’t really feel a ton of pressure to lock him up long term. Beyond that, Uggla is already 30 years old and pretty bad defensively at second base, so signing him for $12 million per season through age 35 is hardly a no-brainer even if the Marlins weren’t pinching pennies.
Jackson reports that Florida has offered Uggla a three-year deal worth around $8 million per season, which is certainly a lot more sensible but probably won’t be enough to keep him from hitting the open market after 2011. He’s in line to make $10 to $12 million via arbitration and cashing him in for prospects or taking draft picks when he leaves as a free agent would be a reasonable decision by the Marlins.
Uggla is very good offensively for a second baseman, hitting .283/.367/.506 this season and .262/.348/.487 for his career, but gives back quite a few of those runs on defense already, may be a year or two from a position change, and wouldn’t stand out nearly as much at the plate as a corner outfielder or corner infielder. He has the same career adjusted OPS+ as outfielders like Nick Swisher, Brad Hawpe, and Pat Burrell.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)