Sep 22, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
As expected the Diamondbacks made things official this afternoon, hiring Kevin Towers as their new general manager.
Towers, who was the GM in San Diego from 1995 to 2009, beat out four candidates for the job, including interim GM Jerry Dipoto. He was viewed by many as the front-runner from the start of the process, with speculation that the Diamondbacks were keeping Dipoto in the mix as the fallback plan should Towers’ asking price prove too much.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Towers will get a two-year contract with several team options that stretch beyond 2012. Dipoto had indicated that he would retain interim manager Kirk Gibson, but Towers plans to simply make Gibson one of the candidates in his managerial search. Dipoto is expected to leave the organization.
Towers was the longest-tenured GM in baseball when San Diego fired him last season and since then he’s worked as a special assistant for the Yankees while continuing to collect a paycheck from the Padres as part of the guaranteed contract they ended early.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)