Sep 22, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
As expected the Diamondbacks made things official this afternoon, hiring Kevin Towers as their new general manager.
Towers, who was the GM in San Diego from 1995 to 2009, beat out four candidates for the job, including interim GM Jerry Dipoto. He was viewed by many as the front-runner from the start of the process, with speculation that the Diamondbacks were keeping Dipoto in the mix as the fallback plan should Towers’ asking price prove too much.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Towers will get a two-year contract with several team options that stretch beyond 2012. Dipoto had indicated that he would retain interim manager Kirk Gibson, but Towers plans to simply make Gibson one of the candidates in his managerial search. Dipoto is expected to leave the organization.
Towers was the longest-tenured GM in baseball when San Diego fired him last season and since then he’s worked as a special assistant for the Yankees while continuing to collect a paycheck from the Padres as part of the guaranteed contract they ended early.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)