Sep 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Last night the Diamondbacks set a new MLB single-season record for most strikeouts by a team, with 1,403.
Because they’re in last place I’m sure plenty of fans and media members will make a big deal out of all the strikeouts being a terrible thing, but it’s important to note that the Diamondbacks have scored more than the average MLB team and rank 15th overall in runs per game.
The point of hitting is, after all, to score runs, and so ultimately how you choose to make your outs is of minimal importance. For more proof of how unimportant strikeout totals can be, consider that the team with the fewest strikeouts in the National League is the Astros.
Houston has whiffed 456 fewer times than Arizona … and has the third-worst offense in all of baseball with 93 fewer runs than the Diamondbacks. Over in the American League the fewest strikeouts belong to the Royals, with 592 fewer whiffs than the Diamondbacks. Kansas City ranks 23rd in offense, scoring 41 fewer runs than Arizona.
So, to recap: Arizona set the all-time record for most strikeouts and has a slightly above average offense. Houston and Kansas City have the fewest strikeouts in their respective leagues, and one ranks 23rd in scoring and the other ranks 28th in scoring.
As always, how well you avoid outs is a whole lot more important than what type of outs you make.
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)