Sep 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Last night the Diamondbacks set a new MLB single-season record for most strikeouts by a team, with 1,403.
Because they’re in last place I’m sure plenty of fans and media members will make a big deal out of all the strikeouts being a terrible thing, but it’s important to note that the Diamondbacks have scored more than the average MLB team and rank 15th overall in runs per game.
The point of hitting is, after all, to score runs, and so ultimately how you choose to make your outs is of minimal importance. For more proof of how unimportant strikeout totals can be, consider that the team with the fewest strikeouts in the National League is the Astros.
Houston has whiffed 456 fewer times than Arizona … and has the third-worst offense in all of baseball with 93 fewer runs than the Diamondbacks. Over in the American League the fewest strikeouts belong to the Royals, with 592 fewer whiffs than the Diamondbacks. Kansas City ranks 23rd in offense, scoring 41 fewer runs than Arizona.
So, to recap: Arizona set the all-time record for most strikeouts and has a slightly above average offense. Houston and Kansas City have the fewest strikeouts in their respective leagues, and one ranks 23rd in scoring and the other ranks 28th in scoring.
As always, how well you avoid outs is a whole lot more important than what type of outs you make.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)