Sep 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
Last night the Diamondbacks set a new MLB single-season record for most strikeouts by a team, with 1,403.
Because they’re in last place I’m sure plenty of fans and media members will make a big deal out of all the strikeouts being a terrible thing, but it’s important to note that the Diamondbacks have scored more than the average MLB team and rank 15th overall in runs per game.
The point of hitting is, after all, to score runs, and so ultimately how you choose to make your outs is of minimal importance. For more proof of how unimportant strikeout totals can be, consider that the team with the fewest strikeouts in the National League is the Astros.
Houston has whiffed 456 fewer times than Arizona … and has the third-worst offense in all of baseball with 93 fewer runs than the Diamondbacks. Over in the American League the fewest strikeouts belong to the Royals, with 592 fewer whiffs than the Diamondbacks. Kansas City ranks 23rd in offense, scoring 41 fewer runs than Arizona.
So, to recap: Arizona set the all-time record for most strikeouts and has a slightly above average offense. Houston and Kansas City have the fewest strikeouts in their respective leagues, and one ranks 23rd in scoring and the other ranks 28th in scoring.
As always, how well you avoid outs is a whole lot more important than what type of outs you make.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)