Sep 22, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
Let me preface this with a calming word: Josh Hamilton is not going to move from the outfield to first base, at least not by next season.
But it has been discussed.
Hamilton told Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News on Wednesday that he would be open to — but is not requesting — a position change.
The current Rangers left fielder has been out since September 4 due to rib fractures that he suffered while running into an outfield wall and has struggled to stay healthy throughout his professional career. But he is one of the top defensive outfielders in the game and a move to first base would hurt his value to the Rangers in the present and his value as a potential free agent in the future.
“I’m open to playing anywhere,” Hamilton told the Morning News. “I think I’m a pretty good
outfielder and I just always thought I’d play the outfield as long as I
could, and if one day somebody wanted to move me to first or DH, then
I’d do that.”
Rangers GM Jon Daniels echoed that he is in no rush to make a move, even given Hamilton’s injury struggles. The MVP candidate biked for 20 minutes Tuesday and is hoping to play around three or four games before the end of the regular season.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)