Sep 22, 2010, 7:02 PM EDT
Still hurting Tuesday in his return to Florida’s lineup after getting five days off, Hanley Ramirez could be shut down for the rest of the season because of an elbow injury.
Ramirez began experiencing discomfort in his non-throwing elbow about a week before the Marlins decided to shut him down. He was given five straight days off and he reported improvement Tuesday before returning to the lineup and going 1-for-4 against the Mets. Unfortunately, it seems he aggravated his condition then, which could lead to tests this week. And manager Edwin Rodriguez wasn’t sure whether he’d play again.
“We have to leave that door open,” Rodriguez told the Miami Herald when asked if Ramirez could be shut down. “We have to do what’s in the best interest of the organization.”
If Ramirez is done, he’ll finish a disappointing 2010 season with a .300/.378/.475 line, 21 homers, 76 RBI and 32 steals in 141 games. Of course, just about any shortstop in any era would be thrilled with such a year. Ramirez, though, had posted OPSs over 940 in three straight seasons before dropped to 853 this year.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 33
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)