Sep 22, 2010, 7:02 PM EST
Still hurting Tuesday in his return to Florida’s lineup after getting five days off, Hanley Ramirez could be shut down for the rest of the season because of an elbow injury.
Ramirez began experiencing discomfort in his non-throwing elbow about a week before the Marlins decided to shut him down. He was given five straight days off and he reported improvement Tuesday before returning to the lineup and going 1-for-4 against the Mets. Unfortunately, it seems he aggravated his condition then, which could lead to tests this week. And manager Edwin Rodriguez wasn’t sure whether he’d play again.
“We have to leave that door open,” Rodriguez told the Miami Herald when asked if Ramirez could be shut down. “We have to do what’s in the best interest of the organization.”
If Ramirez is done, he’ll finish a disappointing 2010 season with a .300/.378/.475 line, 21 homers, 76 RBI and 32 steals in 141 games. Of course, just about any shortstop in any era would be thrilled with such a year. Ramirez, though, had posted OPSs over 940 in three straight seasons before dropped to 853 this year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)