Sep 22, 2010, 1:32 PM EST
Jon Heyman’s latest column has him talking to some agents and executives and people in an effort to handicap this winter’s free agent class. Some tidbits:
- Carl Crawford will sign for $120 million over seven years, according to Heyman’s panel. I can see this, actually. Not saying it’s the best deal for any team — seven years is forever for a fast guy — but I can see someone paying it.
- “One agent” predicted that Derrek Lee would get $24 million over two years. In other news, “one agent” is smokin’ peyote or something.
- The Phillies apparently offered Jayson Werth a Jason Bay deal, but it was rejected (this before he hired Boras). Heyman’s sources — who, in a refreshing bit of disclosure he makes clear did not include Scott Boras — think that Werth will get $85-$95 million. Again, I could see it.
What I see animating the free agent season the most? At least at the top end? The fact that, in my mind, the Yankees aren’t going to be terribly interested in either Crawford or Werth. At least not to where they’ll set the market for them in the way they’ve done in the past. I could see them swooping in late if the market flags, but I think they’ll be more interested in Cliff Lee and various spare parts, and leave the outfielders for someone else.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 0
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 13
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)