Heyman looks at this year's free agent class

Sep 22, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT

Jon Heyman’s latest column has him talking to some agents and executives and people in an effort to handicap this winter’s free agent class. Some tidbits:

• Carl Crawford will sign for $120 million over seven years, according to Heyman’s panel. I can see this, actually. Not saying it’s the best deal for any team — seven years is forever for a fast guy — but I can see someone paying it.
  • “One agent” predicted that Derrek Lee would get $24 million over two years. In other news, “one agent” is smokin’ peyote or something.
  • The Phillies apparently offered Jayson Werth a Jason Bay deal, but it was rejected (this before he hired Boras). Heyman’s sources — who, in a refreshing bit of disclosure he makes clear did not include Scott Boras — think that Werth will get $85-$95 million.  Again, I could see it.

What I see animating the free agent season the most? At least at the top end? The fact that, in my mind, the Yankees aren’t going to be terribly interested in either Crawford or Werth. At least not to where they’ll set the market for them in the way they’ve done in the past. I could see them swooping in late if the market flags, but I think they’ll be more interested in Cliff Lee and various spare parts, and leave the outfielders for someone else.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM

It is a waste of time to predict free agent signings before seeing what happens with the Yankees season. Is there anybody out there who thinks the Yankees will hesitate spending a half a billion if they are knocked out in the first round of the playoffs?? If they lose to the Rangers or Twinkies…would anyone be surprised to see their starting 2011 outfield be Crawford/Granderson/Werth…with Swisher and Gardner as backups?

2. Buccofan - Sep 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I’m never sure if it’s Heyman writing, or just forwarding a Scott Boras press release.

3. donnie23 - Sep 22, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I wish there was an app for this site that could recognize when people make blatently idiotic comments. That way when it finds one it can highlight it in bright yellow and put a callout box next to it saying “this person is a moron.” It would really save everybody a bunch of time I think.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Heyman was sure to say more than once that Bor-ass was not involved in the predictions because everyone feels the same way as you, buccofan.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I wish there was an app that would show that a commenter has the number “27” tattooed on his or her ass so we know when the cockroach Yankers fans come out of the woodwork and post their “blatently[sic] idiotic comments”

6. donnie23 - Sep 22, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Let’s see… dumb, reactionary, stubborn, irrational. I’m guessing Philly fan? Either that or you’re one of those people who consider themselves a “fan” of a particular team but would rather spend your time hating on the Yanks. I guess I should add pathetic to that list too.

7. GP - Sep 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Even if they win the WS I would expect them to be in on Crawford and Werth with the likely outcome of signing one, rather than both, of those guys.
    I think Gardner has done enough to keep one of the OF spots, especially since he represents some payroll relief as well (not that this is a critically important factor for the Yankees).

8. donnie23 - Sep 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I don’t think they get either. but I guess I wouldn’t be totally shocked. Gardner deserves to be a starter. He’s basically a poor man’s Crawford, only he’ll cost $100 million less over the next 5 years.

9. mrfloydpink - Sep 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM

As a neutral observer, donnie23, gonna have to say you come out on the short end on this one. It’s possible to make a comment about the Yankees without “hating” on them. And if you think that the Yankees’ decisions aren’t shaped by their fans expectations of a WS every year, then you’re not paying attention.

10. Jonny5 - Sep 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I said i’d eat my socks if Werth stays in Philly, and now since Craig keeps hinting at it, I’ll have to eat his socks as well if Werth stays in Philly. That’s how sure I am that they can’t handle the $$$$. But they could always defer $$$ and wait until Raul is gone, Jimmy R is up then too. hmmm? Look, if by some strange twist of events he stays, i will eat socks. And i will do it with a smile because I’d love to see him here, it just seems like home to that scraggly geico caveman. I will have to use some seasoning more than likely. I make killer buffalo sauce, hmmm?

11. Jonny5 - Sep 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM

As a Philly fan, i’m going to have to tell you to go to hell. :>) Go to Hell. At least i warned you. Now, keep it up and I’ll be forced to vomit on you.

12. YANKEES1996 - Sep 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I just don’t see the Yankees spending money on Werth, Crawford and Lee during this offseason. If you were paying attention this past off season Hal Steinbrenner set his budget and stuck to his guns in a big way. Crawford plain and simple for what he offers is just not worth $120 million or seven years and I don’t think the Yanks need to aggressively pursue an outfielder. The Yanks do need Lee however due to Andys’ impending retirement and the departure of Vazquez. Brett Gardner has proven his worth and has earned his spot. The Granderson experiment has not been great, it has had some good moments sprinkled in but has mostly been disappointing. Although I will admit that his defense has been very good this year. The Yankees need to chase pitching again this offseason and improve the position players through the farm system if they feel the need to do so.

13. Ick McWang - Sep 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

crawford is going to the angels. he wants to play on a real grass field, and tori hunter is one of his best friends. the angels have the money and the need.
    a local paper scribe asked crawford if he would give the rays a “hometown discount”.
    His answer? “My hometown is Houston, not Tampa.”
    Sounds like a no. And I really don’t see him playing for Houston, but you never know.

14. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 23, 2010 at 7:43 AM

Yeah, wuite easy to “stick to his guns” coming off a World Series Championship. Let’s wait and see what happens when they don’t win it all. That’s all I was saying before donnie baseball got his panties all in a bunch.

15. walk - Sep 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I am not sure if crawford will get a yankee deal or not but i been hearing people on boards talking for past couple years. What i kept seeing was the yankees were just waiting for carl to become available, wheres there is smoke there is fire and all that but at this point im thinking wishful thinking for the most part. Whoever gets him is getting a dynamic player but seven years is a long time.

1. H. Pence (2162)