Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Passed over for the general manager job that officially went to Kevin Towers earlier this afternoon, former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto reportedly informed the Diamondbacks that he’s resigning.
There was some speculation that Towers would ask Dipoto to stick around in the organization and perhaps he did just that, but it’s also understandable that Dipoto would want to leave after finishing runner-up in the search for a job he’s held for months now.
I didn’t think much of the haul he got from the Angels for Dan Haren and was also somewhat disturbed by his touting Joe Saunders’ winning percentage as one of the reasons behind the trade, but Dipoto later pulled off an excellent deal with the White Sox to get Daniel Hudson and another quality pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.
Dipoto will have zero trouble landing another prominent front office gig and the 42-year-old former big-league reliever may even emerge as a potential GM candidate for various teams this offseason.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)