Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Passed over for the general manager job that officially went to Kevin Towers earlier this afternoon, former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto reportedly informed the Diamondbacks that he’s resigning.
There was some speculation that Towers would ask Dipoto to stick around in the organization and perhaps he did just that, but it’s also understandable that Dipoto would want to leave after finishing runner-up in the search for a job he’s held for months now.
I didn’t think much of the haul he got from the Angels for Dan Haren and was also somewhat disturbed by his touting Joe Saunders’ winning percentage as one of the reasons behind the trade, but Dipoto later pulled off an excellent deal with the White Sox to get Daniel Hudson and another quality pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.
Dipoto will have zero trouble landing another prominent front office gig and the 42-year-old former big-league reliever may even emerge as a potential GM candidate for various teams this offseason.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)