Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Passed over for the general manager job that officially went to Kevin Towers earlier this afternoon, former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto reportedly informed the Diamondbacks that he’s resigning.
There was some speculation that Towers would ask Dipoto to stick around in the organization and perhaps he did just that, but it’s also understandable that Dipoto would want to leave after finishing runner-up in the search for a job he’s held for months now.
I didn’t think much of the haul he got from the Angels for Dan Haren and was also somewhat disturbed by his touting Joe Saunders’ winning percentage as one of the reasons behind the trade, but Dipoto later pulled off an excellent deal with the White Sox to get Daniel Hudson and another quality pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.
Dipoto will have zero trouble landing another prominent front office gig and the 42-year-old former big-league reliever may even emerge as a potential GM candidate for various teams this offseason.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)