Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Passed over for the general manager job that officially went to Kevin Towers earlier this afternoon, former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto reportedly informed the Diamondbacks that he’s resigning.
There was some speculation that Towers would ask Dipoto to stick around in the organization and perhaps he did just that, but it’s also understandable that Dipoto would want to leave after finishing runner-up in the search for a job he’s held for months now.
I didn’t think much of the haul he got from the Angels for Dan Haren and was also somewhat disturbed by his touting Joe Saunders’ winning percentage as one of the reasons behind the trade, but Dipoto later pulled off an excellent deal with the White Sox to get Daniel Hudson and another quality pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.
Dipoto will have zero trouble landing another prominent front office gig and the 42-year-old former big-league reliever may even emerge as a potential GM candidate for various teams this offseason.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)