Sep 22, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Passed over for the general manager job that officially went to Kevin Towers earlier this afternoon, former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto reportedly informed the Diamondbacks that he’s resigning.
There was some speculation that Towers would ask Dipoto to stick around in the organization and perhaps he did just that, but it’s also understandable that Dipoto would want to leave after finishing runner-up in the search for a job he’s held for months now.
I didn’t think much of the haul he got from the Angels for Dan Haren and was also somewhat disturbed by his touting Joe Saunders’ winning percentage as one of the reasons behind the trade, but Dipoto later pulled off an excellent deal with the White Sox to get Daniel Hudson and another quality pitching prospect for Edwin Jackson.
Dipoto will have zero trouble landing another prominent front office gig and the 42-year-old former big-league reliever may even emerge as a potential GM candidate for various teams this offseason.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)