Sep 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Diagnosed with “a small fracture” in two ribs yesterday, Josh Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he hopes to play four or five of the Rangers’ remaining 12 games.
That means he’d have to rejoin the lineup by the middle of next week, which seems unlikely given that there’s no timetable yet for his return and Hamilton is expected to sit out at least the rest of this week after receiving an epidural injection and several cortisone shots.
Here’s more from Hamilton:
It’s almost a relief to know there was such pain for a reason. I got the injections and I already feel better. We’ll know for sure in the next few days if this will help. The biggest thing is pain management. The only thing to worry about making it worse is hitting the wall again in the exact spot, Swinging is not going to make it worse, throwing is not going to make it worse and running isn’t going to make it worse.
Obviously seeing some game action before the playoffs begin would be nice, but rusty or not having Hamilton as healthy as possible for October games should be the goal for Texas and giving him an extra week to rest may help accomplish that. Hamilton leads the league in batting average (.361), slugging percentage (.635), and OPS (1.049) while ranking second in on-base percentage (.414) and fourth in homers (31) despite missing 20 games.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)