Sep 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Diagnosed with “a small fracture” in two ribs yesterday, Josh Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he hopes to play four or five of the Rangers’ remaining 12 games.
That means he’d have to rejoin the lineup by the middle of next week, which seems unlikely given that there’s no timetable yet for his return and Hamilton is expected to sit out at least the rest of this week after receiving an epidural injection and several cortisone shots.
Here’s more from Hamilton:
It’s almost a relief to know there was such pain for a reason. I got the injections and I already feel better. We’ll know for sure in the next few days if this will help. The biggest thing is pain management. The only thing to worry about making it worse is hitting the wall again in the exact spot, Swinging is not going to make it worse, throwing is not going to make it worse and running isn’t going to make it worse.
Obviously seeing some game action before the playoffs begin would be nice, but rusty or not having Hamilton as healthy as possible for October games should be the goal for Texas and giving him an extra week to rest may help accomplish that. Hamilton leads the league in batting average (.361), slugging percentage (.635), and OPS (1.049) while ranking second in on-base percentage (.414) and fourth in homers (31) despite missing 20 games.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)