Sep 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Diagnosed with “a small fracture” in two ribs yesterday, Josh Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he hopes to play four or five of the Rangers’ remaining 12 games.
That means he’d have to rejoin the lineup by the middle of next week, which seems unlikely given that there’s no timetable yet for his return and Hamilton is expected to sit out at least the rest of this week after receiving an epidural injection and several cortisone shots.
Here’s more from Hamilton:
It’s almost a relief to know there was such pain for a reason. I got the injections and I already feel better. We’ll know for sure in the next few days if this will help. The biggest thing is pain management. The only thing to worry about making it worse is hitting the wall again in the exact spot, Swinging is not going to make it worse, throwing is not going to make it worse and running isn’t going to make it worse.
Obviously seeing some game action before the playoffs begin would be nice, but rusty or not having Hamilton as healthy as possible for October games should be the goal for Texas and giving him an extra week to rest may help accomplish that. Hamilton leads the league in batting average (.361), slugging percentage (.635), and OPS (1.049) while ranking second in on-base percentage (.414) and fourth in homers (31) despite missing 20 games.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)