Sep 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Diagnosed with “a small fracture” in two ribs yesterday, Josh Hamilton told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com that he hopes to play four or five of the Rangers’ remaining 12 games.
That means he’d have to rejoin the lineup by the middle of next week, which seems unlikely given that there’s no timetable yet for his return and Hamilton is expected to sit out at least the rest of this week after receiving an epidural injection and several cortisone shots.
Here’s more from Hamilton:
It’s almost a relief to know there was such pain for a reason. I got the injections and I already feel better. We’ll know for sure in the next few days if this will help. The biggest thing is pain management. The only thing to worry about making it worse is hitting the wall again in the exact spot, Swinging is not going to make it worse, throwing is not going to make it worse and running isn’t going to make it worse.
Obviously seeing some game action before the playoffs begin would be nice, but rusty or not having Hamilton as healthy as possible for October games should be the goal for Texas and giving him an extra week to rest may help accomplish that. Hamilton leads the league in batting average (.361), slugging percentage (.635), and OPS (1.049) while ranking second in on-base percentage (.414) and fourth in homers (31) despite missing 20 games.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)