Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
The Platoon Advantage — run by Friends-of-HBT The Common Man and Bill — has a great, beefy post today running down the top 40 non-playoff teams of all time. If one were the type of person who does such things, yes, this is the kind of post one might wish to print out to take with one to the john or something. Please, though, don’t tell us about it, OK? This isn’t a Bill Simmons’ column, after all. We’re not animals.
Wherever you read it, however, it’s a great, under-covered topic. Sure, a lot of us can rattle off the 1993 Giants or — thanks to that fantastic book — the 1908 Pirates and Giants, but the vast majority of the teams profiled here are ones about which you don’t know jack. The upshot: you’ll be a better baseball fan for having taken the time to read this bad boy. And you’ll enjoy yourself too.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)