Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
The Platoon Advantage — run by Friends-of-HBT The Common Man and Bill — has a great, beefy post today running down the top 40 non-playoff teams of all time. If one were the type of person who does such things, yes, this is the kind of post one might wish to print out to take with one to the john or something. Please, though, don’t tell us about it, OK? This isn’t a Bill Simmons’ column, after all. We’re not animals.
Wherever you read it, however, it’s a great, under-covered topic. Sure, a lot of us can rattle off the 1993 Giants or — thanks to that fantastic book — the 1908 Pirates and Giants, but the vast majority of the teams profiled here are ones about which you don’t know jack. The upshot: you’ll be a better baseball fan for having taken the time to read this bad boy. And you’ll enjoy yourself too.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)