Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
The Platoon Advantage — run by Friends-of-HBT The Common Man and Bill — has a great, beefy post today running down the top 40 non-playoff teams of all time. If one were the type of person who does such things, yes, this is the kind of post one might wish to print out to take with one to the john or something. Please, though, don’t tell us about it, OK? This isn’t a Bill Simmons’ column, after all. We’re not animals.
Wherever you read it, however, it’s a great, under-covered topic. Sure, a lot of us can rattle off the 1993 Giants or — thanks to that fantastic book — the 1908 Pirates and Giants, but the vast majority of the teams profiled here are ones about which you don’t know jack. The upshot: you’ll be a better baseball fan for having taken the time to read this bad boy. And you’ll enjoy yourself too.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)