Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
The Platoon Advantage — run by Friends-of-HBT The Common Man and Bill — has a great, beefy post today running down the top 40 non-playoff teams of all time. If one were the type of person who does such things, yes, this is the kind of post one might wish to print out to take with one to the john or something. Please, though, don’t tell us about it, OK? This isn’t a Bill Simmons’ column, after all. We’re not animals.
Wherever you read it, however, it’s a great, under-covered topic. Sure, a lot of us can rattle off the 1993 Giants or — thanks to that fantastic book — the 1908 Pirates and Giants, but the vast majority of the teams profiled here are ones about which you don’t know jack. The upshot: you’ll be a better baseball fan for having taken the time to read this bad boy. And you’ll enjoy yourself too.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)