Sep 22, 2010, 9:41 PM EDT
If you’re a baseball fan and a user of the social media site “Twitter,” you probably follow the day-to-day operations of former Nationals GM Jim Bowden. He is working for XM Satellite Radio and FOX Sports Radio these days and has misfired on a host of “breaking” stories, but he also provides strong information from time to time.
Now Bowden is reporting that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag from Kirk Gibson and officially make him their next manager. Here’s the “tweet:”
to begin negotiations with Kirk Gibson, to remove the interim tag and
make him the Manager of the Diamondbacks going fwd
Gibson has registered an ugly 29-43 record since taking over for A.J. Hinch earlier this season but let’s give props to the D’Backs for giving him a lengthier shot than most clubs probably would. Maybe it’ll work out, maybe it won’t, but it’s certainly not fair to evaluate a skipper based on the results of 72 games.
The D’Backs named Kevin Towers their new general manager earlier today.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)