Sep 22, 2010, 9:41 PM EDT
If you’re a baseball fan and a user of the social media site “Twitter,” you probably follow the day-to-day operations of former Nationals GM Jim Bowden. He is working for XM Satellite Radio and FOX Sports Radio these days and has misfired on a host of “breaking” stories, but he also provides strong information from time to time.
Now Bowden is reporting that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag from Kirk Gibson and officially make him their next manager. Here’s the “tweet:”
to begin negotiations with Kirk Gibson, to remove the interim tag and
make him the Manager of the Diamondbacks going fwd
Gibson has registered an ugly 29-43 record since taking over for A.J. Hinch earlier this season but let’s give props to the D’Backs for giving him a lengthier shot than most clubs probably would. Maybe it’ll work out, maybe it won’t, but it’s certainly not fair to evaluate a skipper based on the results of 72 games.
The D’Backs named Kevin Towers their new general manager earlier today.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)