Sep 22, 2010, 9:41 PM EDT
If you’re a baseball fan and a user of the social media site “Twitter,” you probably follow the day-to-day operations of former Nationals GM Jim Bowden. He is working for XM Satellite Radio and FOX Sports Radio these days and has misfired on a host of “breaking” stories, but he also provides strong information from time to time.
Now Bowden is reporting that the Diamondbacks will remove the interim tag from Kirk Gibson and officially make him their next manager. Here’s the “tweet:”
to begin negotiations with Kirk Gibson, to remove the interim tag and
make him the Manager of the Diamondbacks going fwd
Gibson has registered an ugly 29-43 record since taking over for A.J. Hinch earlier this season but let’s give props to the D’Backs for giving him a lengthier shot than most clubs probably would. Maybe it’ll work out, maybe it won’t, but it’s certainly not fair to evaluate a skipper based on the results of 72 games.
The D’Backs named Kevin Towers their new general manager earlier today.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)