Sep 22, 2010, 8:50 AM EDT
Between Jamie McCourt’s dumb act — at least I hope it’s an act — and the testimony that lawyers working on the critical post-nuptial agreement substituted exhibits to the thing all willy-nilly, it’s safe to say that no one has any idea what the judge might ultimately do with the Dodgers. Jamie could get half the team. Or she could be made a ward of the state so as to prevent her from harming herself or others for that matter. Frank McCourt could walk away free and clear or he could have to pay the ex millions and then spend the next five years suing his old law firm. Chaos, really.
Which makes the news that the McCourts are going to resume settlement discussions the most sensible thing I’ve heard from these knuckleheads in a long, long time. Any settlement would almost certainly involve Frank paying Jamie a significant amount of cash to go away, but it beats the alternatives if he were to lose: a forced team sale or an even larger buyout.
Of course, a settlement usually requires that both parties (a) be wary of the risks of pressing on; and (b) swallow their pride and walk away with a less-than-fulfilling result. Whether these deluded, self-centered, materialistic Boomer poster children are capable of reaching a sensible, relatively unselfish solution is an open question, however, so let’s not declare this thing over quite yet.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)