When did your favorite team get younger than you?

Sep 22, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

Craig Robinson of the fantabulous Flip Flop Fly Ball turns 40 today. Happy Birthday, Craig! In honor of that occasion, he does what he does best: creates a fun graphic. This one is a chart illustrating how he has aged compared to the roster of the New York Yankees.  The first year in which a Yankee player was younger than him was 1992. Half the Yankees roster was younger than him as of 2001.  Now only Mariano Rivera has him beat.

I’m guessing everyone has tracked this sort of thing on some level. The Playboy centerfolds — whose ages are so helpfully included along with their pictorials I’m told — are among the first adult public figures/celebrities (non child-star or college athlete edition) who guys encounter that are younger then them. Then the movie stars. Then the pro athletes. When the doctors and lawyers are all younger than you is when you really start to feel old. The first time we have a President born after 1973 is when I’ll let my ear hair grow out, hike my pants up and give up even the pretense of trying to feel young.

But back to baseball.  The first Atlanta Brave younger than me was Jermaine Dye (and later Andruw Jones) in 1996. Now the only ones older than me are Chipper Jones, Takashi Saito and Derek Lowe (though Lowe only by a month and a half).

I don’t really have a problem with this. Aging has never really bothered me. Indeed, each year I get older I feel more comfortable with who and what I am. I was a basket case in my 20s and early 30s. 37 feels pretty good. I’m about the only person I know who looks forward to his 40th birthday. On some strange level I feel like I will finally be grown up then.

1. Trevor B - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The Twin’s all seem to be older than me but after looking at Kershaw and Travis Snider being my age, my life is done.

2. BC - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Jason Heyward was born after I graduated college. That did it for me.

3. Simon DelMonte - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I was quite comfortable with turning 40 (two years ago). It meant my age finally caught up with my often grumpy demeanor (I am well on my way to turning into Carl Frederickson, the protagonist in Pixar’s Up).
    The first time I saw there were pro athletes born after 1980, I felt old. Since then, the shock has worn off. The big shock will come the day that either the president or my rabbi are younger than me. How can authority figures have any authority when they are younger than you?

4. Michael - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I’ve come close the last few years, with a few players on the Cubs just being a few months older than I am, but Starlin Castro destroyed that this year.

5. Philip P - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:54 AM

This phenomenon first struck me not with a baseball player but a tennis player, specifically Jennifer Capriatti. I was a bout one year older than her when she first made the cover of SI at age 13. I’ve got a few months on Alex Rodriquez so he may have been the first MLB player to be younger than me.

6. Al - Sep 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM

B-R puts the average age of all players to make an appearance for the Indians this season at 27.1; I’m currently 27.16. Now that they’ve shed geezers Peralta, Wood, Westbrook, Redmond, Grudzielanek, Kearns, and Jamey Wright, the current roster has to be a bit younger than me. On the bright side, this is supposed to be my peak offensive season, right?

7. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

When I realized I am 6 years older than Roy Halladay, I felt very old.

8. geoknows - Sep 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Actually, doesn’t that mean that the team is younger than you??? Not older.

9. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Er, um, I’ll be right back.

10. ThatGuy - Sep 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

As a hockey fan, when I was 20 and doing my best to stay drunk and not do my homework, Crosby and Ovechkin burst on to the scene. I then realized guys 2 years younger than me were making millions of dollars playing pro sports while I was working part time at radio shack playing videogames involving said players… I died a little that day

11. Attymatt - Sep 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM

On Louis CK’s show he did a whole thing about Jamie Moyer being the only guy older than him in all of the major leagues. There are many in that age group who would like to tell the kid whining about his Starlin Castro issue to stfu. Some of us are having these deep thoughts about the president of the United States (who may be having these thoughts about Jamie Moyer).

12. John_Michael - Sep 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Next year we should see a good crop of younguns that were born in the 90s.

13. MK - Sep 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I’m with Louis CK.
    Randy Johnson retiring hurt more than I had expected.

14. Buccofan - Sep 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM

The metric I heard years ago is that you’re not officially middle-aged until all the players in MLB are younger than you. I passed that mark about 10 years ago, when Dennis Eckersley, Dennis Martinez, and Danny Darwin all retired in the same off-season. I was never really bothered by “the passing of the torch”, just a sign of time passing.

15. ttwsglen - Sep 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Only 3 Orioles older than me…but will Koji, Hendrickson, and Millwood be around next year? And look…Brian Roberts was born on the same day as me! Our birthday is coming up.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2784)