Sep 23, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Cleveland has some pretty nice weather in the summer. It’s not paradise or anything, but it’s always several degrees cooler up there by the lake than it is down here in the middle of the Great State of Ohio. Indeed, summer nights in Cleveland are quite underrated.
Despite this, the Indians just don’t draw fans anymore, so they’re looking for any new revenue source that they can find. Here’s a new one: trying to get people who won’t come out to the park on beautiful Cleveland summer nights to come out during Cleveland’s brutal winter:
The Indians this offseason are turning Progressive Field into a winter
theme park with an aim toward boosting ballpark revenue on days when it
is normally closed. Indians Snow Days will begin Nov. 26, the day after
Thanksgiving, and extend until Jan. 2. The club will build a snow tubing
hill, ice skating track, a kids’ snow mountain and ice rink, and
walking trail. The team will use 150 tons of man-made snow per day to
supplement what occurs naturally, resulting in more than 5,000 tons over
the run of the event.
I hope they build the tubing hill really high. So high that the snow takes a long time to melt. So long that, on Opening Day 2011, Fausto Carmona or whoever has to pitch next to one of those icy snow-crud hills like you see in your grocery store parking lot a month after that big blizzard hit and the temperatures warmed up.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (97)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)