Sep 23, 2010, 1:17 PM EST
Fred Lewis will miss the final two weeks of the season following surgery to remove bunions from his left foot. He’s traveling to Alabama to have the operation, although Birmingham’s most famous doctor, James Andrews, won’t be doing the honors. Instead it will be the awesomely named Dr. Angus McBryde.
Lewis had a solid season for the Blue Jays after being acquired from the Giants for cash in mid-April, hitting .262/.332/.414 with 44 extra-base hits and 17 steals in 480 plate appearances while starting 94 games as primarily a left fielder.
He’ll be arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason and figures to get a raise to around $1 million, but as a 29-year-old career .272/.348/.418 hitter who can play all three outfield spots he’s certainly worth that money.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (107)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)