Sep 23, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Luis Castillo hasn’t started a game in 18 days as the Mets give 20-year-old rookie Ruben Tejada a long look at second base and Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports that they’re also giving Daniel Murphy a crash course on the middle infield with an eye toward him playing second base during winter ball.
Murphy was in line to be the Opening Day first baseman this season before a knee injury ruined those plans. After getting healthy he headed to Triple-A and saw some action at second base because Ike Davis had first base locked down, but that also proved short-lived when a takeout slide knocked him out for the season with an injury to the same knee.
Rubin reports that Murphy is currently getting instructional league reps at second base and will continue to play the position in the Dominican Republic this winter. Whether or not his playing there regularly in the majors is a realistic option remains unclear. He’s played a grand total of 19 games there as a pro, all in the minors, and wasn’t exactly a standout defender at first base or left field.
At this point it seems pretty obvious that the Mets will do everything possible to rid themselves of Castillo during the offseason, even if it means eating the majority of his remaining contract. Tejada has shown very little offensively in the majors or minors, so seeing if Murphy can become a reasonable backup plan makes sense. I just can’t imagine “Daniel Murphy, second baseman” working out particularly well.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)