Sep 23, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
David Wells was a guest on the Yahoo! Sports podcast with Kevin Kaduk and Jay Busbee earlier this week.
In addition to chatting about the division races, playoff matchups, Cy Young debate, and his role as one of TBS’ postseason announcers Wells also dropped a pretty big bomb by calling Joe Torre “a coward.” And he was just getting warmed up.
Courtesy of Kaduk and the fine folks over at Big League Stew, here’s a transcript of his exact words:
I had [Yankees pitching coach] Mel Stottlemyre come up to me in ’97 and tell me they were going to sit me out in the first round against Cleveland. I said, “If you’re going to sit me out the first round, you might as well just send me home.” That pissed me off because I won like 15, 16 games for them.
That’s pretty degrading when you have your manager tell your pitching coach to tell you, “Hey, you’re going to sit out,” rather than telling you himself. That’s what Joe Torre is to me, a coward. I don’t like him at all. As a manager, I think he’s terrible. He wasn’t a fair manager. He didn’t treat people the same. He definitely didn’t treat me the same. If he tells you anything else, he’s a liar.
Wells said some other interesting stuff about Torre, so it’s definitely worth listening to the whole podcast.
- Suspensions likely in Biogenesis probe 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 58
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead