Sep 23, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
David Wells was a guest on the Yahoo! Sports podcast with Kevin Kaduk and Jay Busbee earlier this week.
In addition to chatting about the division races, playoff matchups, Cy Young debate, and his role as one of TBS’ postseason announcers Wells also dropped a pretty big bomb by calling Joe Torre “a coward.” And he was just getting warmed up.
Courtesy of Kaduk and the fine folks over at Big League Stew, here’s a transcript of his exact words:
I had [Yankees pitching coach] Mel Stottlemyre come up to me in ’97 and tell me they were going to sit me out in the first round against Cleveland. I said, “If you’re going to sit me out the first round, you might as well just send me home.” That pissed me off because I won like 15, 16 games for them.
That’s pretty degrading when you have your manager tell your pitching coach to tell you, “Hey, you’re going to sit out,” rather than telling you himself. That’s what Joe Torre is to me, a coward. I don’t like him at all. As a manager, I think he’s terrible. He wasn’t a fair manager. He didn’t treat people the same. He definitely didn’t treat me the same. If he tells you anything else, he’s a liar.
Wells said some other interesting stuff about Torre, so it’s definitely worth listening to the whole podcast.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)