Sep 23, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
David Wells was a guest on the Yahoo! Sports podcast with Kevin Kaduk and Jay Busbee earlier this week.
In addition to chatting about the division races, playoff matchups, Cy Young debate, and his role as one of TBS’ postseason announcers Wells also dropped a pretty big bomb by calling Joe Torre “a coward.” And he was just getting warmed up.
Courtesy of Kaduk and the fine folks over at Big League Stew, here’s a transcript of his exact words:
I had [Yankees pitching coach] Mel Stottlemyre come up to me in ’97 and tell me they were going to sit me out in the first round against Cleveland. I said, “If you’re going to sit me out the first round, you might as well just send me home.” That pissed me off because I won like 15, 16 games for them.
That’s pretty degrading when you have your manager tell your pitching coach to tell you, “Hey, you’re going to sit out,” rather than telling you himself. That’s what Joe Torre is to me, a coward. I don’t like him at all. As a manager, I think he’s terrible. He wasn’t a fair manager. He didn’t treat people the same. He definitely didn’t treat me the same. If he tells you anything else, he’s a liar.
Wells said some other interesting stuff about Torre, so it’s definitely worth listening to the whole podcast.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)