Sep 23, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT
Denard Span underwent an MRI exam today after hurting his shoulder while trying to make a diving catch last week and revealed that he initially injured the shoulder way back in June.
Normally that might explain why Span’s production has dropped off so much this season. After all, he’s hitting just .267 with a .680 OPS in 87 games since the initial injury. Of course, he hit a nearly identical .264 with a .698 OPS in 57 games before the injury, so that’s a tougher case to make.
After sitting out a few days last week Span was able to play in each of the Twins’ past three games, and indicated to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com that he doesn’t expect to miss much time down the stretch. Fortunately for the Twins clinching the AL Central title with two weeks to go provides plenty of leeway to rest guys like Span and Joe Mauer, who received a cortisone shot in his sore knee today.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 47
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)