Sep 23, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT
Denard Span underwent an MRI exam today after hurting his shoulder while trying to make a diving catch last week and revealed that he initially injured the shoulder way back in June.
Normally that might explain why Span’s production has dropped off so much this season. After all, he’s hitting just .267 with a .680 OPS in 87 games since the initial injury. Of course, he hit a nearly identical .264 with a .698 OPS in 57 games before the injury, so that’s a tougher case to make.
After sitting out a few days last week Span was able to play in each of the Twins’ past three games, and indicated to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com that he doesn’t expect to miss much time down the stretch. Fortunately for the Twins clinching the AL Central title with two weeks to go provides plenty of leeway to rest guys like Span and Joe Mauer, who received a cortisone shot in his sore knee today.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)