Sep 23, 2010, 4:19 PM EDT
Denard Span underwent an MRI exam today after hurting his shoulder while trying to make a diving catch last week and revealed that he initially injured the shoulder way back in June.
Normally that might explain why Span’s production has dropped off so much this season. After all, he’s hitting just .267 with a .680 OPS in 87 games since the initial injury. Of course, he hit a nearly identical .264 with a .698 OPS in 57 games before the injury, so that’s a tougher case to make.
After sitting out a few days last week Span was able to play in each of the Twins’ past three games, and indicated to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com that he doesn’t expect to miss much time down the stretch. Fortunately for the Twins clinching the AL Central title with two weeks to go provides plenty of leeway to rest guys like Span and Joe Mauer, who received a cortisone shot in his sore knee today.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 28
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 48
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)