Sep 23, 2010, 11:28 AM EDT
I’ve been beating the “The Red Sox will non-tender Jonathan Papelbon” drum for a while now. But when you read that kind of stuff, keep one thing in mind: I don’t, surprisingly enough, run the Boston Red Sox. Theo Epstein does, however, and based on some things he said yesterday, Papelbon may very well be back in Boston next year:
“Having two really good
pitchers is better than one. Sometimes you don’t want to
Or it could simply be a platitude designed to get him and the team through the last week and a half of the season without having a big controversy erupt.
It’s also worth noting, I think, that having to pay a closer eight figures a year — which is what Papelbon will get if offered arbitration by the Sox — complicates things too. Like, really complicates things if you’re trying to add other pieces to a team that could use some new pieces.
Theo knows that too.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)